Advice on MacBook HD choice

DCD

Registered
I'm just about ready to place my order for a MacBook and really need the 200GB HD but notced it spins slower than the 120/160 GB ones at 4200 vs 5400 rpm. Does this actually translate to a practical difference when using the MacBook or is it something you don't notice?

And also does the RAM slots except 2GB memory modules? I thought you could run up to 4GB on the MacBooks? Or am I worng?

Appreciate any help/adivce:)

It's the right section - dunno if the thread was moved already... Either way: You won't see a drastic slowdown between a 5400 and a 4200 rpm drive. Instead, the free disk space should make your disk run faster, actually. It doesn't take 4 GB of RAM. 2 is the maximum.

I beg to differ :)

I notice a tremendous difference between a 4.2k RPM drive and a 5.4k RPM drive. The difference is like night and day. With a faster hard drive, my mac boots faster, apps load faster, it's faster when searching for stuff, etc. Basically, anything that involves disc access is noticeably faster.

Check out these benchmarks. A 5.4k RPM drive will net you about a 50% increase in disc related performance. If the 7.2K RPM drives were large enough, I'd probably get one instead. For now, my 120GB Seagate Momentus does fine :)

As for RAM, the Macbooks (Core 2 Duos) should take 4 GB RAM easily. Not too sure about the Macbook Core Duos though.

I beg to differ :)

As for RAM, the Macbooks (Core 2 Duos) should take 4 GB RAM easily. Not too sure about the Macbook Core Duos though.

I would think so in principal, but for the present it seems that the max is 3gb. I suspect its as there is a soldered 1gb and a free slot. Maybe nice 4gb boards come out you'll be able to get more in but for now I think 3gb is the max.

Back