Advice please – IDCS or Panther first?

Lyra

Registered
I'm currently using ID 2.0.2 and Jaguar (10.2.8 on a G4 dual 1.25 GHz) but intending to upgrade both. Problem is, I am swamped with work at the moment and haven't got a great deal of time to spend finding my way around new stuff.

The second problem is that, since the last Jag. software update, ID has been flaky in the extreme. I've done all the maintenance, trashing, preference repairing and DiskWarrioring processes I can think of, but ID still frequently hangs (at least once and sometimes more a working day) and locks up the whole machine, for no reason that I can discover – I can't replicate the problem – necessitating a hard reboot every time.

So an upgrade of something seems to be called for (unless anyone has any other ideas), but which? Should I move on to IDCS first and stick with Jaguar, or upgrade to Panther and stick with ID 2.0.2. (Doing both at once would be a bridge too far for my overloaded brain and patience, I suspect.)

Lyra said:
I'm currently using ID 2.0.2 and Jaguar (10.2.8 on a G4 dual 1.25 GHz) but intending to upgrade both. Problem is, I am swamped with work at the moment and haven't got a great deal of time to spend finding my way around new stuff.

The second problem is that, since the last Jag. software update, ID has been flaky in the extreme. I've done all the maintenance, trashing, preference repairing and DiskWarrioring processes I can think of, but ID still frequently hangs (at least once and sometimes more a working day) and locks up the whole machine, for no reason that I can discover – I can't replicate the problem – necessitating a hard reboot every time.

So an upgrade of something seems to be called for (unless anyone has any other ideas), but which? Should I move on to IDCS first and stick with Jaguar, or upgrade to Panther and stick with ID 2.0.2. (Doing both at once would be a bridge too far for my overloaded brain and patience, I suspect.)

I updated both within the same week, and I had my share of problems, but everything is running smooth (and faster than ever) right now. The safe way to go would be to upgrade InDesign first - the only problem that I had with this upgrade is the fact that you cannot save down to InDesign 2. I was still forced to use 2.0 for many projects because none of my service providers had upgraded to CS.

On the other hand since upgrading to Panther I have not experienced a crash that locked the machine as I did with Jaguar. Instead the problimatic application would crash and I would be able to continue working without having to reboot my machine.

So upgrading ID will cause you less of a hassle, but it probably won't solve your crashing problem. Upgrading to Panther will be very disruptive (highly recomend the clean install) which means backing up all of your data, and reinstalling everything.

wait CS cant save to a 2.0 compatible file?

that is going to set adobe backwards i think

Nope, it sure can't. Same with QuarkXPress -- you can only save down to one version prior to the current version -- like with Quark 4, you could save to versions 3 and 4. Quark 5 could save to versions 4 and 5. And now, Quark 6 can only save to 5 and 6.

InDesign seems a little more strict, where with the new CS suite, you can only save to InDesign CS files -- not InDesign 2.

yeah thats a definite ouch. i know alot of print places that decided to try out id2, and now they wont be able to print the designers cs files? kinda shady.

*shakes fist at adobe*

Actually, if they're a print provider chances are they're on that program Adobe has and will have a new copy of ID CS (and PS and IL) very soon.

Doesn't mean I totally understand their logic on it though, but then again they do push the PDF as a final means for printing over native format documents. I think the last time I sent out a native ID document to a printer was a bit over 2 years ago. Everything since on all levels; quickies at Kinkos to 4-cl press jobs, even a large one to a web printer; have been in PDF format.

Then again, they made a pretty substantial change in CS over 2.0 in terms of some of the features, and I'm sure many of those aren't compatible with 2.0 format.

yeah i guess its a moot point, i forgot i send out pdf's as well...

eh, i dunno, maybe im just hard headed ;)

Of course you're hard headed...all designers are after all.

There's not alot more in terms of completely new features they can add to ID, so soon it'll level out a little for a while.

Back