AFP Fails, Brings up FTP Window, Still Won't Connect

magilum

Registered
I'm connected to a LAN via a Netgear hub, and each computer on the network has a static IP. As of the past week, I've been unable to access one particular computer via AFP. When I double-click its icon in Network:My Network, it brings up a dialog for FTP access to that machine. It fails even if I try to connect by that method.

The computers in question are a Mac Pro, and a Mac Mini, both running 10.4.11. I've tried zapping the PRAM on the machine I'm trying to connect to, deleting its System and Finder Preferences, zapping its PRAM, and restarting all of the hubs and the router.

I can connect by SSH.

Also, trying to connect with other computers brings the same result: an FTP window comes up for that one specific machine. By contrast, I am able to connect to every other machine on the network normally.

Last edited:
What happens if you try to connect directly with an AFP connection string, by selecting "Go > Connect to Server..." then entering:
Code:
afp://serveripaddress
...where "serveripaddress" is the address of the machine?

It worked! The weird thing is it didn't work before. Double-clicking on the alias in the Network folder still kicks over to FTP, though. I can work with this, but I still want to figure out what's up.

Back