After a year, OSX is running like a dog!

1 word - Defragment.
Run your permissions repair and make sure your daily, weekly and monthly cron scripts get run once in a while. thats' good.
But you still need a good defragment once in a while, to make order from the chaos on your drive. Disc warrior has a defragmenter with it (if you buy the CD). Norton's Speed disk is another option (as long as it doesn't ask you to run disc doctor, which seems to find more issues than it fixes - even if they aren't there to begin with).

Sheesh, you installed a script without checking to see what it did? Tsk tsk. :p

Some places you can check:

Check in the Login Items in System Preferences to see if it's being started from there.

See if there's something in /Library/StartupScripts.

See if there's something in /System/Library/StartupScripts.

If you don't see anything there, you can try checking the various /etc/rc scripts to see if they were modifed. You would have had to be root for any script you ran to do that, though.

Sorry I'm not more specific, but I don't know what commands it's using to mount the server or anything...so I can't be.

I found this somewhere:

OS X 10.2.x Cleaning
Light Cleaning Option
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.LocalCache.csstore
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.UserCache.csstore

Deep Cleaning Option
~/Library/Caches
/Library/Caches
/System/Library/Caches
/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

I always do the deep cleaning option, all the files are owned by me so I quit all my applications, then just use rm from the command line, then use sudo reboot to restart immediately (with the thought that if I restart normally some of those files may be recreated by running processes.) At startup they get rebuilt and things are much more responsive.

I've done it on lots of machines here at the office without a problem, but your results may vary so proceed at your own risk. Also be careful if using rm or any variation thereof, especially if using su or sudo as it tends to assume you know what you're doing and deletes exactly what you tell it... which may be more than you intended! Might want to try to use the gui instead of you're not familiar with the command line, I think it should work just as well.

Michael

I found this old thread pretty helpful. I'm not having any major problems on my 500mhz with 320 mb of ram running 10.2.8 but I figured some cleaning was good.

I did an fsck. I also repaired permissions and downloaded an installed (and ran) MacJanitor and System Optimizer.

I then dug out my OS 9 version of Disk Warrior that I paid $50 for about a year ago just to fix 1 problem. I ran PlusOptimizer off the disk.

3 hours later and it was still telling me that I had over 1000 (yes, thousand) minutes left! At one point it was up to 2800 minutes!

My system can't be THAT defraged?! Is that normal? I assume not. Any advice? I'd really like to defrag since I haven't ever in 3 years of this machine's life.

Is there another degrag option out there? (hopefully one free since I don't want to spend another $50 on software that I already have and barely use)

cwoody222 said:
I then dug out my OS 9 version of Disk Warrior that I paid $50 for about a year ago just to fix 1 problem. I ran PlusOptimizer off the disk.

3 hours later and it was still telling me that I had over 1000 (yes, thousand) minutes left! At one point it was up to 2800 minutes!

My system can't be THAT defraged?! Is that normal? I assume not. Any advice? I'd really like to defrag since I haven't ever in 3 years of this machine's life.

Is there another degrag option out there? (hopefully one free since I don't want to spend another $50 on software that I already have and barely use)
Yes, normal. I think it doesn't take as long if you had ever de-fragged the drive before. (good analogy- - organizing your storage room where you've been stuffing everything for 10 years, takes a while to do it all, but after organizing, it's not too time consuming) You now see one of the advantages of upgrading to version 3 of DW, a substantial speed up of most routines. DW 2 will eventually work itself to an end, but you have to ask if de-frag is really worth the time (probably not, IMHO for a Mac) Maybe if the drive is fairly full (less than 15% free space), but you should be considering moving or deleting files to create more room.
Norton Speedisk would be faster, if you want to trust Norton with your system (many people do, but some people have LARGE complaints, so YMMV) Personally, for most uses I would stick with only one disk repair utility.

Hint, open a new thread, you may get better response if your problem continues....

Back