Air shipping options for G4 system?

Munsey

Registered
So I'm moving to Japan and need to take my computer with me. I need to figure out a good way to pack my G4 tower, 15" LCD, keyboard, and maybe my 35mm neg scanner (small) into as small and light a package as possible and still have everything be safe. This is, of course, asking a lot but that's why I'm here asking for ideas. I see two main options at the moment. One, find a Tenba AC-SD15-G4 air case somewhere and use that, but these seem more or less like hen's teeth. Two, get one of the Pelican 0350 or 0370 cube cases and adapt it to securely hold my G4 system. The problem with this is that these things are effin' heavy - 26 and 32 pounds respectively without anything in them! This will be traveling as one of my checked bags, so airline weight limits do come into play. I'm really wondering how this can be done reasonably.

Ideas?

Third option - Ship via good shipping service (UPS, whatever)
I suppose you can justify traveling with a desktop system, but a laptop system would make more sense. Just the potential for lots of Fun (and time) at the baggage check-in which would be missed by shipping separately. :)

I lived in Japan for 3 years around 7 years ago. One thing to look forward to is the food! Driving on the left side of the road was easy (no turn left of Red though). The hard part was going back to the right side of the road when I came back. What town/city are you going to?

When I came back (I bought my first Mac in Japan), I used UPS to ship it back home. I did use the packaging store first before sending it. It was all cheaper than taking it on a airliner (at that time). So have a family member send it to you after you made an address for yourself. Build in time for customs and all that.

To address the original question, I'd suggest remove anything that could get loose internally. Amply wrap everything in bubblewrap in layers around the pieces then use Coreflute to box it all in and protect the bubblewrap.

I personally hang onto the packaging of all my Apple equipment, no matter how old, so i can always put it back in where it was originally so well protected.

get a cheap instrument flight-case off ebay(flights for pa-system-modules, eq's etc should be fine), apply whatever, bubble-wrap etc, on the inside to make it fit your system, register as a musician and your kg/punds-quota for travelling by air will be raised significally.. claim the goods as being necessary for your "upcoming japan-tour" ;) . no kidding, btw.

alex.

Back