Air

aicul

Registered
Hi,

Just unboxed my macbookair. Its wieght is absolutely surprising. Keep it on your lap no problem. It does heat but less than a macbookpro G4. It is a nice little marvel of technology. The touch options on the trackpad a pleasure to use.

Downsides:
1. the external battery indicatory is not present any more
2. Remote disk - easy to install but failed miserably for VMware fusion CD

Oh, and the boxing is first class...

I went down to the Apple Store to take a look at one the other day. I for some reason expected it to be weigh less. Is is just 3lbs, but it looks like it should float, so I think I expected it to not feel heavy. No complaints, it was just my first impression.

Very cool machine though, if I could justify having one, I'd get one. I don't do anything that requires horsepower, 95% of the time, so it would be fine if I had more mobile needs.

Keep us posted how you like it.

Scott

Guess I must be the only person that has a MacBookAir....

Here is some more after a few days of professional and personal use.

Good
I have used MacBook Pro's and MacBooks in Gn and Intel flavours. The Air is surprisingly cooler than the rest.

Its soo light it does not pain the laps, even after 2 hours. Actually, I caught myself checking if I had not forgotten it more than once!

I got over 3 hours full usage on full batteries. Hard disk spinning continuously. Upon death it actually does a safe shutdown that recovers when power is available again.

It fits in my document pouch - 1 less item to carry to my meetings.

The transformer is smaller than other models.

It is dead quiet, cannot hear the disc or the fan when they operate. Good for bed time emails.

Less good
The trackpad's single finger action is too sensitive, you find yourself selecting things unwantedly. I had to deactivate it but left the 2 finger actions on, as well as swipe which is great for browsing big documents.

The USB port is somewhat cumbersome. It is connected to a door that swings open. Problem is, the door swings close when you try to connect a USB device. So you have to give the insert USB ove some attention.

The remote DVD is prone to difficulties when the disc is piracy protected. I eventually opted for a copy from DVD to local HD and install from there.

Very bad
The "apple" key is, like on the new keyboards, called "command"

The trackpad's single finger action is too sensitive, you find yourself selecting things unwantedly. I had to deactivate it but left the 2 finger actions on, as well as swipe which is great for browsing big documents.

So how can you do anything with the computer if you deactivated the one finger actions? How can you move windows, click on icons etc.?

ohhhhh I get what you mean - because you just said "the trackpads single finger action is too sensitive", so I thought you also meant moving the mouse in general!
I guess I was very tired!

I just got mine. :) And I'm veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery happy with it.

"Ich schmelze vor Neid dahin".....

So how does the wlan actually work, are the antennas strong? I mean how close do you have to be to a router etc. for it to get the signal?

It works alright for me. At home, it covers the whole apartment as before, at work it's also working (even through two concrete floors, albeit only with one AirPort bar). Haven't tested much yet.

That's correct. Ever since I've started work in retail (Apple computers, of course), I've been less online, actually. I've been hovering over the site and sometimes closed or moved a thread and banned a spammer or something, but I haven't really communicated much. Sorry about that. Guess at least in the coming weeks I'll be on here more often again, since I just _have_ to break this baby in. :)

That's correct. Ever since I've started work in retail (Apple computers, of course), I've been less online, actually. I've been hovering over the site and sometimes closed or moved a thread and banned a spammer or something, but I haven't really communicated much. Sorry about that. Guess at least in the coming weeks I'll be on here more often again, since I just _have_ to break this baby in. :)

Yes, speaking of the Air, I'd personally enjoy reading your review of it. I seek to understand its purpose in a power-hungry market.

I've written it in that other thread. The purpose, in my opinion, is simple. And that "power-hungry market" is, in my opinion, just a marketing problem. Most buyers do _not_ opt for the 2.4 GHz iMac, for example. They rather buy more RAM for the 2.0 GHz version. Similarly, the lower MacBook Pro option is alright with most, it's what we're selling, at least.

My MacBook Air clearly is a _secondary_ machine, not the one I want to do all my work on. It's the _perfect_ typewriter, though. I can have it with me _anytime_. Heck: I could tape it to my back and go dancing without a doorman noticing it. Just kidding. What I mean is: Drop it in your bag and you don't really notice its weight. You _always_ know whether you have your MacBook or MacBook Pro with you. They're too heavy not to notice. The MacBook Air really _is_ light and thin.

Who is it for? Mobile professionals. If you travel a lot, you'll simply love the (lack of) weight. Rich students. You know they exist, and those who can afford an MBP can also decide whether a MacBook Air is good for them. Writers and journalists. They _do_ exist. ;)

The MacBook Air is also a statement, in my opinion. I clearly value style and functionality over raw processing power.

Very bad
The "apple" key is, like on the new keyboards, called "command"

The Command key in OS X has always been misnamed/labeled the apple key. it's finally got rid of confusing thing of having two names for the same key.

The Command key in OS X has always been misnamed/labeled the apple key. it's finally got rid of confusing thing of having two names for the same key.

But.... for children its much easier to say apple-q or apple-n, than command-q or command-n. If I would say: "now press command-o". then they would say: "wheres that key?"
but if I would say "now press apple-o". they know its the key with the apple.

I know that was a little confusing, but do you know what I mean?

Also I think its just part of the whole Mac experience. Without that key, its just like any other windows keyboard, so why use an Apple one (except the neat design)? The whole point of an Apple keyboard is, so you can use it with Apple products. But if there hardly is any difference between the keyboards, some people would think "why buy one? There is hardly a difference between ctrl-n and cmd-n." They'd stick with their windows keyboards.

Well, but the menus always displayed that command-symbol, and in my head it's always been that (since 1987 in fact). The Apple on the key actually seemed like tacky marketing for me. But we digress. I miss the real enter-key. Now all we have is a return key that is an enter-key when combined with Fn. ;)

My iPod touch does not have an apple, nor a command, nor an option, nor a command, nor a function key. I don't miss any (except - yes - the apple key).

My iPod touch has a world key - simplicity at its best.

Thank-you apple

About my Air...

When I ordered it I was unsure whether to but the external DVD drive and eventually opted not to spend the money. Well, I can confirm that the remote disk works perfectly.

Backup through time machine, via Wifi, is however a lengthy matter. Think its related to timemachine not liking being disconnected for too long.

Battery life is consistently in the 3h 30m.

The size has scared me more than once. I now carry the air in my document pouch. Unfortunately I have the habit of throwing the document pouch into my car after work. So I have had some stressful instants...

The keyboard is just fine. The back light is a little strong in my sense.

And the largish track pad is easy to access. Added plus is the size of the trackpad which generates a comfortable space to rest ones hands when typing.

I think the problem with your keyboard is either a back pick or some dirt.

Back