Airport Card & Powermac G4 computer

Dunga

Registered
I just purchased 2 Powermac G4 computers and neither of them have wireless, so I'm going to purchase a wireless adapter. Surprisingly, airport cards seem to be cheaper than everything else on eBay, so I'm probably going to get one.

Do I simply need an airport card and to install it to connect to the internet? Or do I need discs and whatnot? Also, when I checked how to install it, it said that I needed some sort of antennae thing, and checking these pictures I don't see any antenna.

Tl;dr
1. Can a single airport card and nothing else connect my old macs to the internet?
2. How to install?

Thanks.

All PowerMac G4s have an internal slot for an Airport card (except for the oldest G4 tower, known as the Yikes model, which also is the only G4 tower without an AGP slot). You will find the antenna wire very close to the bracket where the Airport card can be installed, often wrapped around part of the bracket.

You shouldn't need to install any software for the card.
It should be recognized by simply plugging the card into its socket, and starting up your Mac. You won't get any wireless signal unless you also connect the antenna wire to the card.
How to install? The card only plugs in one way. Just make sure it's seated completely.

There are other choices. A PCI wireless adapter card is the best, I think...
www.macsales.com has several possible PCI cards: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MXP802NPCI/
is one that I like. You would need a minimum of OS X 10.3.9 to use it.

Last edited:
thats a great site and so is https://www.dvwarehouse.com/
i just bought my carrier card from them and a plastic rivet kit (to hold the card in) from them. Quick shipping as well. And i got my Airport card for $6.99 shipped (used) off ebay. Alot cheaper then buying the kit brand new or through a website. I would of paid over $100 if i bought the kit brand new, vs pieces here and there.

There are lots of youtube vids to help with the installation as well... PM me if you want some more info....ill be glad to research and help you. Everyone needs to save a buck!

Back