Airport Cards (non-extreme)

lnoelstorr

Registered
Does Apple no longer do these?

I'm hopefully getting a PowerMac soon, and I was planning that when I did have one I'd pop an Airport card in my iBook so I could take it round the house with me for web-browsing and so on from the comfort of my sofa or bed.

However, I was just looking through the Apple store (and also checked dabs.com) and it seems Apple now only sell the Extreme card, which I understand is of no use to me (I have one of the oldest sorts of the white iBooks).

So, what are my options macosx.com folks?

Ebay is a great source. And I am sure, you will also find some non-extreme cards in other apple selling stores (non-Apple Stores).

Also check http://www.craigslist.com and select your city (they have a lot of the nation covered now, and growing rapidly) and you may find an airport card that way. Also try your local retailers like Fry's Electronics and CompUsa. Fry's is where I got my airport card (non-extreme) just 2 months ago.

Ebay Airport cards are ridiculous anymore. I seen some go for 135$. Amazon no longer sells Airport cards. No used either.

I bought one this week for 50$ at Mac of All Trades.

The issue of supply and demand has caught up with those of us with older macs needing the old airport cards. There is a fixed supply of airport cards since Apple no longer makes them and a greater demand because of the rapid spread of wireless networking.

Hence the rising prices on ebay which is a true supply and demand market place.

Find small shops and places. Like the PC and MAC connection near me. Theyd have one. Want me to check since I use extreme?

I know I may need one for my PowerMac G4, but I may just opt for the Linksys 802.11g PCI card. Luckily I've already got one for my wife's ibook and my pismo.

3rd party cards are a definite alternative for Powermac G3 and G4s.

Shoot - why did I wait so long! All the links and suggestions here no longer have old Airport cards. Any other ideas please? I mean an iMac that runs OS X like a little champ should not be an obsolete maching when it comes to wireless!

DLink or Linksys has a device that plugs into a USB port, looks just like the Bluetooth add-ons.

are there any non-Apple cards that I can install in my iBook's Airport card slot instead of an Airport card? or are the only alternate solutions external?

If anyone's looking for an AirPort card, let me know. I just got rid of my G3 iBook in favor of a PB, and I have a card at home that I am trying to sell.

MP

I'm really surprised that you're having so much trouble. I bought a (non-extreme) Airport card two months ago for my iBook, and after pricing available stock at the local Apple Store and Comp USA, I bought it at Best Buy for $69. They all had them to burn...of course, I live in San Francisco, so I've never had much problem getting materials for my Macs.

I tried the external things - a netgear (using a hacked driver) and a dlink that was built for OS X.

They seemed to work OK in general, but both of them hard crashed my iBook G3 800 when trying to voice chat using iChat. The hard crash completely locked me out and only a hard restart would get me back in business

Ugh - I'm sure there are issues with these USB solutions, but if you can't find an airport card, at least it is something! P.S. I found one for our extra G3 iMac, but the supplier was swamped with orders and has no more. Everyone is running out of these so move now if you want one.

I just got mine from eBay a few days ago. Paid £40 for it, and that's not a bad deal if you ask me. These things seem to be selling like crazy on ebay now.

Back