Airport Cards (non-extreme)

mseydel said:
I'm really surprised that you're having so much trouble. I bought a (non-extreme) Airport card two months ago for my iBook, and after pricing available stock at the local Apple Store and Comp USA, I bought it at Best Buy for $69. They all had them to burn...of course, I live in San Francisco, so I've never had much problem getting materials for my Macs.

Geography is not the issue. If you live in Tibet or Texas sooner or later they will be scarce - Apple is no longer making them so the supply is now fixed.

I'm still in shock that Mac put us in this ridiculous position. I need an airport card (or several) BAD!!!!! I am a consultant, and a lot of my clients are on older ibooks or imacs, and are trying to go wireless now. These alternatives don't work for me. A third party card will not work with an ibook (since it has no card slot) or an iMac, and the USB adapters are clunky and ineffective. Who wants to carry around a laptop and a long cord with a big antenna on the end? Not me, that's who! I think someone should start making a new version of the original airport card for all this demand that Mac has created, either that or Mac should rethink their positioin. This is nuts!!!!!

mseydel said:
I'm really surprised that you're having so much trouble. I bought a (non-extreme) Airport card two months ago for my iBook, and after pricing available stock at the local Apple Store and Comp USA, I bought it at Best Buy for $69. They all had them to burn...of course, I live in San Francisco, so I've never had much problem getting materials for my Macs.

Of course you didn't have problems 2 months ago... no one did... they were everywhere. That was before Mac pulled the rug out, and discontinued production. Try.. just TRY finding one now anywhere for under $115. Even in San Fran!

vdowiz - I wonder how many of your clients will say to screw Apple and get a Windows machine if there old Mac can't use wireless. If, and I'm not saying it is, this is a slight ploy to get people to buy new Macs, it is a poorly thought out strategy. Forcing someone into being outdated in any way is bad customer relations - especially on machines that do almost everything else (primary computer tasks) well. Its not like the whole PC world is 802.11g right now any way (though they are darn cheap - cards and routers).

I'm currently using a wireless card made by IBM. My iBook identifies it as an Airport card, so I'm guessing that they are made by the same manufacturer, just that Apple rebrands them Airport.

The full name of the card is "IBM Internal High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card". There doesn't seem to be a model number on it. I got it off someone on eBay about a week ago.

Viro said:
I'm currently using a wireless card made by IBM. My iBook identifies it as an Airport card, so I'm guessing that they are made by the same manufacturer, just that Apple rebrands them Airport.

The full name of the card is "IBM Internal High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card". There doesn't seem to be a model number on it. I got it off someone on eBay about a week ago.

Is it the exact same size as the Apple Airport card? Does it fit in the Airport Card slot?

If we have an option other than the card made by Apple, I'd love to get one. I'd rather have one that fits into the builtin space as opposed to a third party PCI card.

I wonder, with no more old Airport card, will Apple also stop making the card adapter for G3 iMacs? Will those also become a hot black market commodity too now? :)

Black market? Dude, it's not like we're dealing in weapons or drugs here, just end of lined Apple components. Call it something else.

uuhh, what's the fuss

I called a few compusa s in the area and no-one had the beasts and everyone gave me a song and dance about how they are discontinued and not available and and and.

Then I called a (semi)local authorized service center (a reseller who does service too). He said he had just run out, but ordered a bunch of them and they'll be in tomorrow. Retailers can't get them, but service centers can - though as parts, they are a bit above suggested retail ($100). So call a store that does authorized repairs and save yourselves the headaches.

Tomorrow is good for me :D

I wonder if apple will come out with an adapter to allow the extreme card to run in the regular slot. Stupid though, not too many people need g for surfing - the main use of wireless. If I really need to transfer heavy duty stuff - I'll stick in a cable.

You could start hoarding all the airport cards you come across, and in a few months time sell them at marked up prices. I'm sure some enterprising person will do it and make a hefty profit.

Why not just charge $150 or $200!!

This is rediculous! There has to be some company out there willing to produce these. Talk about profit margin....good grief!

how about eBay???? although the completed listings show a going rate of $90-$120. wow, who would have known ... is this the only Apple product whose value appreciates??

In the end the repair center charged me 117 plus tax. :(

But now I don't have to worry about getting shut out! :)

Viro said:
Black market? Dude, it's not like we're dealing in weapons or drugs here, just end of lined Apple components. Call it something else.

Well, the market might be not be black (meaning illegal), but the prices sure are becoming black market prices! I saw 802.11g card for less than $40 at Best Buy and meanwhile people needing a older slower Apple card are paying $100+! Crazy! I think you are right about it being the only computer product to appreciate in value! Very funny!

Back