Airport express - networking via USB?

AlanBDahl

Registered
I am thinking about setting up a network with my iMac and TiVo. I am wondering if I could use Airport Express to hook up to the TiVo through the USB adaptor? I could buy a wired router and USB->ethernet adaptor of course but it would be nice to save the extra cables and hardware given the rat's nest that is already behind my stereo.

Are you talking about using the USB port on the AirPort Express station? That's for sharing a USB printer only, nothing else.

We can speculate that, in the future, a software update may help us to use other kinds of USB devices from that USB port, but for now, it's for sharing a USB printer.

AlanBDahl said:
I am thinking about setting up a network with my iMac and TiVo. I am wondering if I could use Airport Express to hook up to the TiVo through the USB adaptor? I could buy a wired router and USB->ethernet adaptor of course but it would be nice to save the extra cables and hardware given the rat's nest that is already behind my stereo.

Doesn't the TiVo have an ethernet jack? I thought they could work over broadband.

btoth said:
Doesn't the TiVo have an ethernet jack? I thought they could work over broadband.

No, it just has a pair of USB ports, to network one you need to buy a USB->Ethernet adaptor. However the Airport Express doesn't have an Ethernet port either and it looks like from what the earlier poster said you can't do USB<->USB networking with it which means one would have to buy a router and a USB-ethernet adaptor instead.

The AirPort Express does have an ethernet jack.

True, but a Tivo doesn't. You could go AirportExpress->Ethernet/USB Adapter->Tivo, but if you're going to do that, you might as well just get a USB->802.11b adapter, which will also worth with a Tivo.

Solution:
Tivo USB to Ethernet to a hub. Airport Express Ethernet to the same hub. Viola! Right? :) The Tivo is basically a big hard drive. Couldn't you just access it with your computer once you get it connected?

Natobasso said:
Solution:
Tivo USB to Ethernet to a hub. Airport Express Ethernet to the same hub. Viola! Right? :) The Tivo is basically a big hard drive. Couldn't you just access it with your computer once you get it connected?

Well first of all I'd need a router not a hub unless I wanted to pay Comcast for a second IP. Secondly if you read my earlier post I was trying to avoid having to stick the cable modem, router, Airport express and all the associated cabling behind my stereo. Not having to add a router makes the install much cleaner.

While the Airport express does have an Ethernet port it doesn't have two ports, one for the cable modem and one for the TiVo, thus the need to add a separate router.

There are certainly many ways to have your Tivo and an AE on the same home network. The trick is avoiding the need for hard-wiring between Tivo and cable modem.

It'd be really nice if the AE could be 'all by itself' behind my home-theater setup, doing double duty; delivering wireless music from iTunes to my receiver, AND allowing my Tivo to connect to my cable modem.

Alan, no need to get testy; I read your whole post. :)

It is a sucky situation, but it seems that these limitations are in place for a reason: So you can't do what you are describing, probably.

Back