Airport Extreme Update caused problem?

KenDRhyD

Registered
I have an Apple Extreme base stations that serves wireless internet to five (5) Mac computers and ethernet connection to one (1) Windows XP system (used for development work). The corporate bug management system is Bugzilla hosted on the corporate network which I access via VPN.

1. While I have been able to establish the VPN on my iMac, I have not been able to access Bugzilla -- it seems to refuse to follow the VPN and keeps trying to access it via my main internet connection. I cannot figure this one out.

2. I was able to use this from Windows without issue, until I installed an update to the Airport Extreme. Now, the VPN connection remains up, but from time to time it seems to go 'stale', and I have to dop and re-establish the connection to continue accessing Bugzilla! Once, and only once, I had the Internet Connection panel open and believe I saw a status change on the VPN indicating that it was 'refreshing' or something to that effect, but it was only there momentarily, and I cannot reproduce it. I can use Bugzilla for a few minutes, but after a short period of time, I do not believe ever more than 10 minutes, it starts timing out until I drop and re-establish the VPN.

Does anyone have any ideas on either of these issues?

Well maybe you should open a dedicated VPN logical port to see if that helps. A good logical port list is Apple's "Well Known" TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products is good resource on the Mac side. You also have to find what ports the VPN uses and open them up on your Airport router (it might be port 1723).

I am not certain how to achieve the specific steps you mention. I shall attempt to determine what ports the VPN is using, although right now I do not know how to achieve this. How, specifically, doe sone go about "opening up" a port on the Airport Extreme router?

Some routers support "dynamic static" ip addresses, where a certain computer (MAC address), is assigned an IP. If your router doesn't do this, then you'l probably need to setup your computer with a static IP.

Actually, the update also seems to have caused another problem, thisone with the USB printer attached. It is actually a Brother 7020 laser multifunction device, which works very well. It had been working fine while connected to the router (shared with other family members), and I move it to a direct connection when I want to use the scanner.

The past few days we have noticed incomplete and "empty" prints! In some cases the page comes out empty, in others not all of the document prints, and in at least one case the printer indicated that the buffer was not empty (in this case hitting the print button printed part of the next page in the document, but not all of it).

It would appear that the router is not sending all of the data to the printer in some cases.

Does anyone know if I can revert to the old firmware version in the router? Or how to 'correct' this issue?

Back