Airport Extreme

What kind of range does the extreme card get? For that matter, what is the range for the non-extreme card?
I thought I saw somwhere that the non-ex card range is 50 feet, which dosen't sound right when other cards reach 1500 feet.

What kind of range does the extreme card get? For that matter, what is the range for the non-extreme card?
I thought I saw somwhere that the non-ex card range is 50 feet, which dosen't sound right when other cards reach 1500 feet.

It's not the card alone... it's the ABS, too. If the card and the ABS are the latest, the range is 150 feet, but you can plug an external antenna to the base station to get about 250 feet (or 300, i forget). With the older ABS and card, you get 150 feet, and no way to extend it (non-hack ways, I mean).

Why is the Airport range so much less than other cards (like slipstream, Lucent) which are at least 10 times greater?????

Why is the Airport range so much less than other cards (like slipstream, Lucent) which are at least 10 times greater?????

Ten times greater? Nah... show us one. Other base stations are cheaper, and have greater range... 300 feet is what i remember. But ten times greater range than airport?!

How about the remaining apple hardware lineup?
With the exception of the G3 iMacs, do you think there
will be minor revisions to incorporate AE into them? Otherwise
this upgrade doesnt make much sense because only the
new AlBooks will be able to use AE

Of course, it's worth pointing out that most DSL and Cable Modem connections top out around a mere 1.5 Mbps.

So if you use your Airport strictly for surfing via cable or DSL, the old-fashioned 11 Mbps is already overkill. Upgrading to Airport Extreme will offer you no internet speed advantage.

Now, networking with other Macs or PCs would be faster. And yes, the wireless USB connection is very cool. But surfing.....

How about the remaining apple hardware lineup? With the exception of the G3 iMacs, do you think there will be minor revisions to incorporate AE into them?

Fryke took care of that question. This is what he said:

as stated before, a PC-card adapter with OS X drivers. Not there yet, but I'm sure they'll arrive.

We can only speculate.

don't you guys read slashdot? we can pump up the range to kilometers if you have a couple of base stations with directional pringles can antennas!

I'm wondering if the new ABE can maintain an 11mbps (to a LCD Imac) and a 54mbps (to a new PB) connection at the same time. Or does it switch back to the speed of te client with lowest speed?

to clear things up again, although it's really easy...

If you have a 802.11g client card, you need an 802.11g base station (doesn't have to be an Apple branded one, though) to get the 54 Mbps throughput. With an older 802.11b base station, you'll get the 11 Mbps that the base station provides.

The 802.11g client card DOESN'T fit into the old AirPort slots we all have (as I assume there are not yet many new PowerBooks out there...) :)

The range the AirPort Base Station has is 'quite good'. Some other makers' base stations are better, some cheaper.

The new Apple Base Station can maintain a 54 Mbps and 11 Mbps link at the same time. Apple's site says: "That’s because the AirPort Extreme Base Station features a compatibility mode that automatically supports not just the AirPort Extreme Card (at data rates up to 54Mbps), but all 802.11b-compliant products (at data rates up to 11Mbps) — Mac or Windows — as its default setting."

Originally posted by fryke
The new Apple Base Station can maintain a 54 Mbps and 11 Mbps link at the same time. Apple's site says: "That?s because the AirPort Extreme Base Station features a compatibility mode that automatically supports not just the AirPort Extreme Card (at data rates up to 54Mbps), but all 802.11b-compliant products (at data rates up to 11Mbps) ? Mac or Windows ? as its default setting."

Yep I've read that, but it does not say at the same time. At least as far as I can read english. I know it is capable of a sort of auto-sensing / auto-switching but really maintain 2 links with 2 different speeds at the same time...? I could easily read that as supported, but at the lowest speed.

Originally posted by Triangle
I know it is capable of a sort of auto-sensing / auto-switching but really maintain 2 links with 2 different speeds at the same time...? I could easily read that as supported, but at the lowest speed.

I just got the Linksys Wireless-G access point and it's connected to a PC laptop @54Mbps and an iMac @11Mbps at the same time. Since both the Linksys and Airport Extreme use the same chipset (Broadcom... one of the reasons I got the Linksys), I would assume Airport Extreme can handle both at the same time as well.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107372

From the Apple website:

Mixing clients on an AirPort Extreme network

When you mix 802.11b (AirPort) and 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) clients on an AirPort Extreme network, each type of client receives an appropriate data throughput rate. The 802.11g clients continue to receive data at a higher rate than 802.11b clients.

Originally posted by Triangle
I'm wondering if the new ABE can maintain an 11mbps and a 54mbps connection at the same time. Or does it switch back to the speed of te client with lowest speed?

Just to clear this up. If you have a 802.11g client and a 802.11b client and a 802.11g base station.

The 802.11g client will get the 54 Mbps speed when it transmits and the 802.11b client will get the 11 Mbps speed when it transmits.

It can do this because the client are on completely different radio bands. 802.11g runs @ 5 GHz and 802.11b @ 2.4 GHz.

If there is any slow down for the 802.11g computer it will be a transmit delay (can't talk while the other one is) due to the 802.11b clients taking longer to transmit what they need to, but even that is assuming that the base stations are not capable of transmitting at both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz at the same time.

Originally posted by fryke
a PC-card adapter with OS X drivers.
Fryke, are you refering to a PCI card adapter? or a PCMCIA card adapter?

If you are thinking PCMCIA, I don't think such a thing would work. I can't find any specs on the new Airport Extreme cards, but they appear to be too big to fit in the compact area of a pcmcia card slot.

How does the Airport Base Station get on with walls?

I've read that the range is between 150 to 200 meters, but does that include walls being in the way?

For instance, If I set my base station up in my lounge and went into my bedroom about 5 meters away and closed the door, would it work? Or does it have to be line of sight?

For instance, If I set my base station up in my lounge and went into my bedroom about 5 meters away and closed the door, would it work? Or does it have to be line of sight?

Goes through walls/doors/windows. I used to have my ABS in the kitchen....three walls away. And the distance? Mmm... no way to measure it right now.

I currently have it in a diff place, bt still going through three walls. It's like two rooms away, you could say. Signal? Four out of four, according to the airport icon on the menubar... and about 70%, according to Internet Connect's gauge/scale.

Just gotta keep it away from microwaves and 2.4Ghz wireless telephones, or you'd be coming to us to help you configure your ABS so that it doesn't get you offline when someone calls, or when someone is hungry...

Originally posted by Gnomo
Just to clear this up. If you have a 802.11g client and a 802.11b client and a 802.11g base station.

The 802.11g client will get the 54 Mbps speed when it transmits and the 802.11b client will get the 11 Mbps speed when it transmits.

It can do this because the client are on completely different radio bands. 802.11g runs @ 5 GHz and 802.11b @ 2.4 GHz.

If there is any slow down for the 802.11g computer it will be a transmit delay (can't talk while the other one is) due to the 802.11b clients taking longer to transmit what they need to, but even that is assuming that the base stations are not capable of transmitting at both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz at the same time.

nope, 802.11b and 802.11g both run on the 2.4ghz band.

http://www.linksys.com/edu/wirelessstandards.asp

Back