airport-like router with modem?

lethe

Registered
i think that the fact that the airport base station has a modem built in is great. i don t always have broadband access, and i am moving soon, i don t know how i will get my computers online before i get my hookup.

what i don t like about the airport is that if you want to hook up any computers over ethernet (nonwireless), you have to plug them into the same line as your WAN connection.

there are lots of routers out there, wireless and nonwireless, that have separate WAN and LAN connections. is there one that also has a modem? i haven t found one yet. anyone have any tips? i guess i don t require that it be wireless...

thanks

This is what I'm looking for for a friend, he wants to be wireless but doesn't want to get DSL. He thinks 56k modem is good enough for his needs. Is there a wireless router out there with a built in modem? I know you could get the airport extreme but it's just too expensive.
Any ides?

Thanks for your help

Viktor

lethe said:
what i don t like about the airport is that if you want to hook up any computers over ethernet (nonwireless), you have to plug them into the same line as your WAN connection.

Doesn't the AirPort station have both a WAN and a LAN port? You'd want to plug any wired (non-wireless) computers into a hub/switch connected to the LAN port.

The first graphite airport only had one port which was the WAN port, all the newer ones have both a WAN and a LAN port.

Brian

Is apples airport the only choice if you need a wireless router and to use with a modem connection to internet??

Viktor

iMan said:
Is apples airport the only choice if you need a wireless router and to use with a modem connection to internet??

There are other options, but the Airport is probably the cheapest that does both wifi and dialup. There isn't a very large market for dialup router type devices, so their cost is higher.

Brian

I don't think my friend wants to pay $250 for a wireless router with modem, I hope I can find something cheaper.

Viktor

Back