Airport Problem after Leopard Upgrade

Henri Sizaret

Registered
Hello,

I am experiencing the following problem :

I have an iMac G5 with Tiger with 3 users, accessing internet via a local WiFi network at home. This network needs a WPA password to access.
The iMac worked perfectly and accessed the net with no issues.

I installed Leopard on the iMac and since then :
- it asks for a WPA password for the local network but does not accept it
even if I know that the password is right
- the airport meter is on "zero"
- I cannot get to internet.

Thank you for your help,

Henri

Do you have the WPA password saved in your keychain or have any preferred networks saved?

You can reset/remove your saved keychain password for your wireless device.
Also, you can try to remove your preferred network settings, reboot, then reapply them.

Your issues would make more sense if you did an upgrade versus an erase and install.

keychain reset url.

I have a couple of silly questions which I hope you won't take offense to, but I'm not understanding the problem completely here. You say your airport meter is reading zero. Does that mean that your indicator has no lines in it? Did you set up your Airport with you changed systems? If you are receiving more than one wifi station, are you selecting the right one? Is your account name correct? These types of things always trip me up. The hard stuff never does. : - )

I have the same problem.

My iBook (OS 10.4) logs in fine, but my MacBook OS 10.5) after asking for a password which I then enter correctly, gives the following message: "connection failed". I have tried on and off for months, and it is always the same. When I remove the password protection, it works fine.

Thanks for any help. Ryno.

Hello,

I am experiencing the following problem :

I have an iMac G5 with Tiger with 3 users, accessing internet via a local WiFi network at home. This network needs a WPA password to access.
The iMac worked perfectly and accessed the net with no issues.

I installed Leopard on the iMac and since then :
- it asks for a WPA password for the local network but does not accept it
even if I know that the password is right
- the airport meter is on "zero"
- I cannot get to internet.

Thank you for your help,

Henri

I haven't seen this posting again until today when I got an email notice. Anyway, there are two problems here and maybe they both have the same answer, but let's try to get things straight and figure that out.

rynbow,
You say that you couldn't get the airport connection to work until you turned the password off. I take that to mean that you left the password field blank and you can connect to the internet. Most, maybe all, wireless routers come defaulted with no WPA or other security so the password for access is none. If it is working with no password that makes your life easier. Stay with it.

Henri,

I guess, if I'm reading your input correctly that you have one Mac with three users and a router. You mentioned the airport signal indicator so that means you have a wireless router and you are accessing it through the WiFi port. If you set up your router initially with security enabled by going through the set up in your browser talking to a device called 192.168.0.1 (an ip address) then you must have all the info that you gave your router for the security. If you changed the user account from administrator to something else and you changed the password from blank to something else, then both of those must be used to gain entry back into the router. I have never set up a router for security but I would imagine that the password that you gave out to each user of the router is unique and not necessarily the same as the admin password for the router. If on your Mac you are connecting to the network and it is asking you for a password and it is not taking it, then you may have to totally reset your router and put in the passwords again.

Also, the "signal being zero" comment you made still wasn't explained, but I am assuming that you are referring to the icon in your menu that is shaped like a big piece of pie and it has no lines showing in it. If this is the case, you are either in a very low signal level spot or your airport is turned off. Regardless, your password is not getting through to the router and it won't do anything except its job to keep you out. Click on the airport icon in the menu and make sure that your airport is on. If it is, then pull it down to the network connection section and scan for signals. If your airport was never configured you should see it with a name default. Otherwise, it will have whatever name you gave it. Tell airport you want to use whichever signal you are seeing and wish to connect to. If you are asked for a password, put in what you think is your password. If that is rejected, then let me know and I'll explain how to reset your router, which is a big pain to do, but easy to explain. Important: make sure you are connecting to your router. There very well may be several other signals in there from outside sources like WiMax and other people's home routers.

For both Henri and rynbow,

Please ask me more questions if none of this makes sense or if part of it does but things are still not working.

Steve

Thanks Steve.
No, I have to turn the password off in my router setup using a browser; that is, I have to set the authentication type to "disabled". The other options are WEP-64Bits, WEP-128Bits and WPA-PSK (the one I chose, the others being REALLY confusing). With authentication disabled I connect directly, but I am afraid so does somebody else in the neighborhood...

I can manage to get wireless security by setting the mac addresses for every computer in the house, but I did not feel all that confident that I was cutting down on ADSL usage that way. I'll probably go back to that method.

To turn Airport on, Leopard has a very different interface than Tiger. To even try to access my router I have to select "Join other network". If I go to "Network Preferences" I get a beachball hang and I have to force-quit System Preferences.

As I say, I'll probably go back to using the mac-addresses, but it is always nice to sort out a problem, so I appreciate any help, not to mention a solution. (I live and work in Cape Town, maybe routers are different here...)

You say that you couldn't get the airport connection to work until you turned the password off. I take that to mean that you left the password field blank and you can connect to the internet. Most, maybe all, wireless routers come defaulted with no WPA or other security so the password for access is none. If it is working with no password that makes your life easier. Stay with it.

I wonder if something else is wrong. Setting ip's to me means no DHCP. I've never had to resort to fixed ip's. I'm out of my normal element here.

On the beach ball, I don't know what the time out is for the Mac, but if it can't find another network, it'll keep looking and like you, I finally give up and push the eject button.

On the Cape Town, computers and their networks should all be fairly universal (if that is possible with so many "experts" around ;-) ).

I have just set the IP addresses for the laptops, and I'll give it some hours to see if my adsl usage stays ok. Desktops connect by ethernet so they'll be secure, I suppose. If I do need to go the password route I'll be back :)

Hello,

thank you motsteve :

I reinstalled Leopard (erase), turned off encryption and firewall ;
I do get Airport signal, but "no connection" when on Safari.

I am attaching a link to a thread I opened at Apple forum to attempt to solve this issue : it feels so close to be solved, yet frustrating (as you may appreciate from my latest post) may be the router needs a reset...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1571840&tstart=0

Anyway, thank you for your help

Henri

It has been so long since I saw this and I just got this notice in the email a few minutes ago. I don't understand this system as far as dating and timing, etc.

If airport is receiving okay, say at least two bars showing most of the time, then when you open the networking tool, you should be able to enable it with little effort. As I recall, it was so automatic that I would be at a loss to explain what to do to make it work any better. You do have the DHCP enabled and not a fixed ip, right?

I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful.

Back