Airport Question

OraliusJohnosn

Registered
I have an old Airport system, and I just bought an airport extreme hoping to link both of on of them to a cable modem and the other put somewhere else in my house to extend the range of the airport system. Does anybody have an easy way to do this? Or does anyone have configuration files that they can just send me? Help me I'm totally confused. The stuff in the manual doesn't work because one of the airports doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the new one has.

michaelsanford said:
"both of them" is what, two computers and an AirPort base station?

it's an old airport basestation i want to use it as like a hb to extend the range of a new airport extreme system

So, basically, what you want to do is make sure your internet area is covering the whole house, eh? You'll have to put one Airport at one end of the house, and the other Airport at the other end of the house. One thing I know you could do is plug them both into the Cable modem directly (if the modem as more than one port), or plug them into an Ethernet hub, which is then plugged into the Cable modem. Then, you'll want to set them both up to access the internet through the Ethernet, and set the station "Density" to "high", since you're base stations are at least kinda close together (like, 100 ft away) in the same house.

Have you determined that 1 AirPort won't be enough to cover the range you want? If so, you could sell the other AirPort. And you could always buy an antenna extender for it with the money from an AirPort and still have a little cash left over.

Apple have published a great document call Designing AirPort Networks.
If you read through it, you may find that you can configure the Extreme (connected to the Modem) as WDS Main Base Station and the old AirPort as a WDS Remote Base Station.
I understand that WDS permits Roaming between BaseStations, but I may be wrong.
WDS is Wireless Distribution System.

Back