Airport semms to connect to the wrong basestation

Marcola

Registered
I have 2 airport express' (n) in a set up as a wds network. Both have the same network name, same channel, same password(wpa2personal). One is obviously connected to my cable modem (main) and the other in the Lounge (remote). My iMac that sits right next to the 'main' base station behaves strangely when starting up. It starts up with 1-2 bars in the airport icon with a transmit rate of between 1-5 (where it should be around 130). The only temp fix is to turn the airport on my imac off and then on but I was hoping find out the issue and fix it for good.

I've tried many things:
deleted recent networks from network>airport>advanced
deleted everything in keychain that relates to the wireless network
deleted all prefs relating to airport in ~/Library/Preferences and also in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

My assumption is that when it starts up that it connects the furthest base station.

I have tried things like istumbler to sus out possible interference but there's no way of seeing which base station it's connecting to.

One thing - when I got this mac I used the migration assistant to transfer data from an existing mac which was also running 10.5.*

I also have Parallels on this mac which I see installs it's own stuff in network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK to fix this try these steps:

1. Disconnect from the connected Airport.

2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and delete any saved reference for the network you are trying to connect to and the network you are not trying to connect to.

3. Close KeyChain Access.

4. Open System Preferences->Network and highlight you Airport card. Then at the top of the window pane use the drop down to make a NEW location and call it what you want.

5. After making the name try to connect to what you want, put in all the correct info (security level, password, etc.).

I found it is not wise to leave the Network connection on Automatic. I hope this information helps you.

I've only ever seen _problems_ with creating network locations. Automatic always works for me (tm).

Thanks guys. Had tried Satcomer fix without any success. I then though I'd uninstall parallels as it seems to create virtual network ports on startup (I checked the logs) and (I cross my fingers) has seemed to solve my problem. Maybe I'll have to start using VMWare - I hear it's just as good.

Back