AirPort speed

Ian Goddard

Registered
I notice a significant difference in internet "speed" between my Ethernet connection and my AirPort Extreme card. Using Speedtest.net with the ethernet connected I get about 6730 kb/s. Disconnecting the ethernet and turning the Airport on I get about 3700 kb/s. Same router, etc.

I have an iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with an AirPort Extreme built-in wireless card. Firmware: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.9)

My router is a Linksys 2.4 Ghz 802.11b. (BEFW11S4)

Is this speed "normal" for the Airport Extreme or is there some other issue? i.e. the router?

I have two computers connected to the router, usually via ethernet and these numbers get much worse when both machines are online similtaneously - like when gaming.

I'm no expert on wireless hardware, but I would think that it's probably your router. The 802.11b specification is somewhat old.

From wikipedia:
802.11b has a max data rate of 11 Mbit/s. 802.11g has max of 54 Mbit/s. These are both, as far as I know, far slower than your ethernet.

An update of your wireless router may help. I *think* your computer's extreme card may have the 802.11n standard -- in which case a current router could make a huge difference.

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

6,730 kbps is about 6 Mbits per second -- well below the theoretical maximum transfer rate of 11 Mbits/sec of 802.11b. 802.1b should and can transfer at 6,730 kbps.

There is a lot of overhead and packet loss with wireless connections, though -- try changing channels on your router. You can use AirRadar to find out what other wireless access points around you are using, then use a channel that is far away from those currently used and see if that helps.

Back