Airport Utility 6.3: Update FAILs to Recognize Airport . . . but Internets Work

Doctor X

Registered
I put the smiley because this is not an emergency. Just an odd thing. Searching the :) Fora gave me a lot of irrelevant topics.

My system is as below. The Airport I have: AirPort Extreme 802.11 a/b/g/n was purchased less than a year ago.

So I see the Airport Utility 6.3 update is available!
75a26baa.gif
Because nothing makes a life that is a hideous montage of tragedy and shame better than a software update. Suddenly, women no longer call Human Resources when you walk into the room. Children sing sing in your praise.

I update because, I cannot tell you how many times I have used Airport Utility since that last time I configured the Airport . . . when I first got it.

I test it and get:

AirPortUtility63_zpse93e0c1c.jpeg

Now . . . despite that, the computer happily recognizes the Interwebs. In fact, the iPod updated . . . it is happy. So this may be one of those "odd things."

I simply replaced the application with a copy of the old one from a clone. This is what you get:

AirPortUtility62_zps7360cb8c.jpeg

So . . . no panic. Tried restarting the Airport Extreme and all of that . . . does not change the situation if I update to 6.3.
sweat_zpsb873f269.gif

There is a Firmware Update which does not actually have a link for down load.

Anyways, while probably nothing to worry about--the update did not "bork" the the AirPort connection. Perhaps someone has a similar problem.

--J.D.

Solution

The Mac Gurus over at :) responded that IPv6 needs to be "on" for Airport Utility 6.3 to recognize your Airport and/or Time Capsule

• 1. System Preferences
    2. Network
    3. Advanced
    4. Click TCP/IP in the top bar
    5. Next to "Configure IPv6" set to "Link-local only"
    6. Click Okay then Apply

I did not have to reset anything afterwards.

--J.D.

still can't see wireless clients .... yet another useless update from Apple
At least I know what will NOT be the brand of my next router

On the other hand - why would you expect to see wireless clients (which I take to mean devices using network adapters to connect wirelessly to an existing network)? The Airport Utility is used to setup or configure Apple base stations or time capsules, not clients connected to that network.

because that was available in AirPort 5.x !
and I should have say "still can't see clients with no DHCP reservation" (in my case all or iXXX products)

The 6.3 update just adds support for the newest base station/time capsule. Probably, there's a new express coming soon, too.
Otherwise, you could just stay with the Airport 5.6, etc, eh? I keep both versions on this Mac.

What exactly does "all or iXXX products" include? It would be better to say what you mean here, instead of using your own abbreviations.

Back