airpot network drops unexpectedly

jonpb

Registered
Hi there,

Every so often my internet connection drops. resetting my modem and airport seems to resolve the issue. Here are some specifics:

A) Airport connection bar in mac menu bar says it has 5 bars
B) The airport express light is green
C) The modem says it has a connection
D) Both macs is joined to the correct network (2 laptops are joined, both running 10.5, fully updated)
E) Resetting the modem and resetting airport express resolves the issue (I haven't tried resetting just one of these to see if the problem gets resolved)
F) The issue happens once in a great while, and can't be reproduced by any specific behavior. Also happens right in the middle of browsing the web.

Questions:

Could the issue be that 2 macs are joined to one network?

The network is hidden, and the channel is NOT set to automatic... could this cause the issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

What frequency are you running on the wireless network? I ask because most 2.4 Ghz (b, g, the default frequency) frequencies are very crowed with waves from microwaves, RF devices, etc. Try changing to different channels in the Extreme/Express trying to stay away from channel 11 or 9 because these are the default for most wireless routers. See if this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I did change the channel awhile back -channel 1. The issue happens once in a great while, and I suppose could be my cable modem (which is very old). I have interference robustness enabled too.

Thanks again,

Back