Alert volume sounds.

Gambit

MacManiac
Ok, this must be the most embarressing os-system related question I've so far posted but nm...

When one wants to change the volume of the sound one can, for instance, go up to the Finder menu and click on the volume icon and drag up/down the volume control.

That's when the puter confirms your choice by giving a "beep" or a "basso" or whatever you choose as an alert sound in the prefs.

Question: where can I take that away? Isn't it configurable as I thought, because...I simply cant find it?

See, I've turned down that sound to a min. in the prefs but there's no where, that I can find out, where to make it fully mute :eek:

Regards,
/G

I also believe you can hold down command and drag the volume down to change the volume of the alerts but i'm not sure...i forget it's it the command or the option key..blah

bobw said:
In the Sound preference Pane there is a MUTE button.

I didn't want a total mute of the sounds over all, just the alert one.

If I click down the control of the alert volume in sound prefs. to zero it still makes the same "beep" when I press/use the volume control in the Finder menu.

Whenever I use iTunes, for example, I sometimes want to drag down the sound...or up.
Everytime I get the "beep" as well.

I know that I could do one thing though...that is to change back to my kb Pro that came with the G4 (right now I have plugged in a iMac Graphite kb) and use the sound buttons.

It seems that if one uses the mouse + Finder menu/sound up-down then I have to live with the "beeps".

See? :(

/G

The volume control in your menu bar changes the overall system volume, but if you drag the slider while holding the option key, you change only the alert volume.

My system shows both system and alert sliders move together, while holding the option key down.
You can turn alerts off for the volume keys on the keyboard.

Total Konfuzion said:
The volume control in your menu bar changes the overall system volume, but if you drag the slider while holding the option key, you change only the alert volume.

Well, then it must be my kb. I'll plug in my Pro one back and let you know because on the Graphite one it ain't workin´ ;)

Thanks guys for your inputs!

Regards,

G

Gambit said:
Ok, this must be the most embarressing os-system related question I've so far posted but nm...

When one wants to change the volume of the sound one can, for instance, go up to the Finder menu and click on the volume icon and drag up/down the volume control.

That's when the puter confirms your choice by giving a "beep" or a "basso" or whatever you choose as an alert sound in the prefs.

Question: where can I take that away? Isn't it configurable as I thought, because...I simply cant find it?

See, I've turned down that sound to a min. in the prefs but there's no where, that I can find out, where to make it fully mute :eek:

Regards,
/G

In 10.3.1 in the sound pref.panel you can choose not to have feedback when you change the volume. also the alert volume is separate .

wasno1 said:
In 10.3.1 in the sound pref.panel you can choose not to have feedback when you change the volume. also the alert volume is separate .

Goody, then I'm looking forward to yet another feature in my next upgrade since I havn't loaded Panther yet.

/G

Back