. . All Icons have black frame around them suddenly.

mauve

Registered
I was working with pro-tools 7.0 LE most of the day and then all of a sudden the icons on my iMac's desk top started to have black frames around them when I click on them, and not only icons, my Firefox also has that black line framing it.
I have 2 restarts, 2 shut downs, 2 log outs options when I click on the little apple.
That's strange and somewhat scary.
Can anyone help?
Thank you and mery x-mas.

When you click on a desktop icon it should acquire a faint white square outline with the background slightly darker. I assume, from your description, that this is not what you are seeing?

You could try using Disk Warrior to rebuild the desktop database.

It's unlikely that I can help further but, in case someone else can help, I recommend you state which iMac you are using and the OS version.

A screenshot might also be useful.

I didn't know you have a disability. :) Your fingers turn on something (a keyboard shortcut) for seeing in System Preferences->Universal Access. Look there and figure out what key combination in Pro Tools turned the boxes on.

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Damn computer started talking to me, too, telling me which menu I was using. Spooky. Restarted and did an exorcism before I found about Universal Access.

Just to help someone else who doesn't quite follow what's happening.... :)

Universal Access preference pane will show you that the VoiceOver utility is turned on. The result? Black squares around selected icons, and double items in the application's menu.
This can be accidentally turned on with command (Apple)-f5. Can be turned off with the same keys, or turn off in the Universal Access pane.

Back