Allways boot Verbose?

Cool! :cool: I didn't know you could do that (default to boot verbose) I've always wanted to do that.

I also didn't know you could write NVRAM outside OF...

To unset this, do you boot-args=+v or...?

PS Once this is set, do I have to do anything to reload the changes, or will it just do this at boot time?

To unset it, type nvram boot-args="" - pretty simple too ;)

It'll just do it at boot time. The settings have already been saved, nothing needed to enable or reload 'em.

Heh, if you really want to be a *nix geek, I can tell you how to boot into the console rather than have the Aqua login panel as well.

It's a pain though - the login on the console is at the bottom of the screen, and if you have that hitting-return-makes-a-double-or-triple-return bug (Hey, couldn't think of a better name :p), then you'll have a fun little time logging in. It can be done, just takes a few tries. Also, loading up Aqua can be a pain after booting this way.

But I can tell ya if you're interested.

I'm guessing nvram boot-args=-s?
(I'm assuming that since -v is the tag for Verbose, whose boot-time command-key sequence is CMD-V).

I'm always willing to learn, whether it's something immediately practical or not :)

djliquidice - You're welcome :)

Nope, not -s (I haven't tried that, BTW, I dunno if that would boot in single user mode or not. I'd guess so...). I mean actually booting into the console, no extra commands needed.

It's actually pretty easy too. Edit /etc/ttys - that's it.

Uncomment the line that says console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure then comment the next line that says console "/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/loginwindow" vt100 on secure window=/System/Library/CoreServices/WindowServer onoption="/usr/libexec/getty std.9600". (For anyone not familiar with what that means, it means to delete the # sign from in front of the first line, then to add it at the beginning of the other line.)

That's it - next time you boot, it'll be in the console.

Interestingly, it seems that if you remove the word secure, from whichever line is the active one, you'll have to put in the root password when you boot into single user mode. I would guess this wouldn't be a good idea if you didn't enable the root account, though.

Now, to start up Aqua, you'll have to make a little shell script -

#!/bin/sh

/System/Library/CoreServices/WindowServer &
/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/loginwindow &

I saved that as startAqua. Big note: you need to be root the first time you run it, otherwise you're just stuck at a blue screen. I don't know if sudo works, as I didn't try it.

Once you do it, you'll be presented with the normal login screen (no way past that one), where you can log in as whatever user you want (not stuck as whatever user you logged into the console as).

Cool! Thanks for such a great explanation, this might come in handy ;)

You might consider copying this to a HOW-TO...

Back