Altering the fan speed of a G5

radius

Registered
Hello,

Does anyone know of any software that will allow me to alter the speed of the fans in my G5?

not that i know of. are they too noisy?

i noticed 10.4.2 ish onwards that they got noisier and noisier, but 10.4.8 came out and they've shut right up. are you on 10.4.8?

also, energy saver in system prefrences can be set to reduced power, which makes the fans whisper quiet, at the expense of a few clock cycles.

using Handbrake MPEG-4 encoding, on Reduced Power i can get possibly ~34 fps, whereas on full power it's nearly 38/39 fps.

i keep it on reduced power most of the time any way.

not that i know of. are they too noisy?

i noticed 10.4.2 ish onwards that they got noisier and noisier, but 10.4.8 came out and they've shut right up. are you on 10.4.8?

also, energy saver in system prefrences can be set to reduced power, which makes the fans whisper quiet, at the expense of a few clock cycles.

using Handbrake MPEG-4 encoding, on Reduced Power i can get possibly ~34 fps, whereas on full power it's nearly 38/39 fps.

i keep it on reduced power most of the time any way.

Hi there. Having major noise issues with my Mac. The fans appear to be spinning up to full speed on a continual basis.

I'm running Panther 10.3.9 on a G5 IMac. It's almost as though the OS is unable to communicate with the temp. sensors and as a result the fans a blow at max speed constantly.

i would say then in this case that possibly the connection with the temp. sensors has become broken. i'm not sure how to fix this, but i'm sure someone on here does know.

Reset your SMU -
1. Unplug ALL cables from the computer, including the power cord.
2. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
4. Let go of the power button.
5. Press the power button once more to start up your iMac G5.

The SMU controls the fans and regulates the speeds to run each fan (among other things), so resetting the SMU should fix your problem.

Reset your SMU -
1. Unplug ALL cables from the computer, including the power cord.
2. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
4. Let go of the power button.
5. Press the power button once more to start up your iMac G5.

The SMU controls the fans and regulates the speeds to run each fan (among other things), so resetting the SMU should fix your problem.

Excellent. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

I saw a note that says for fans "taking off" you should boot the G5 in "single user mode" type the word exit then reboot. No idea what it means!

Back