AluBook low whirring sound when plugged in

agusgriego

Partially Insane
I have a brand new 1.5 ghz 15" alubook and when it's plugged in I hear a very low whirring sound on the right of the computer in certain circumstances (when i'm using Quicktime, when I move the mouse using Dreamweaver, etc.). I wanted to know if this is normal and in that case, what's producing the sound.

Thanks in advance,

If you wonder your fan turns on anytime it's plugged and also, when it is not doing a thing or just playing back mp3s do this:
open System Preferences -> Energy -> Settings for: Power Adapter -> Options -> Processor Performance: Reduced

I wasn't talking about the fan, the sound I'm talking about is barely noticeable and it's a very high pitched sound, almost an "electronic" sound.. I can only hear it when the fan is off.. an only when the machine is plugged in (i.e. not running on battery), or when I take the battery off (I use it as a desktop)...

Very strange...

Is the noise in the speakers? If so you could have some cross talk between some of the internal components. In that case one solution is to turn the volume down but there is not much else you can do (I used to have an Intel motherboard with built in sound that had that problem, you could here the interrupts.) The other possibility is that you have a noisy capacitor which is a "feature" of my TiBook. In that case you may are basically up the creek. In ether case you could complain but I don't think you will get very far.

Back