Am I the only one that likes the brushed metal?

Well, I for one can't stand it. I think it's the worst thing UI wise in Mac OS X. How could they ever plan to have *two* themes for their own applications? Well, reminds me that their video apps don't follow the Aqua guidelines either. Maybe Apple is schizophrenic in that respect.

I think they have their uses.

For example, I believe iTunes looks great in it, but I don't think it'd be as good in Aqua. iMove looks good in it, but I doubt Aqua would look good on it.

I think the new sherlock looks bad in it, but I also think the Sherlock 2 looks bad in Aqua. It doesn't use a standard toolbar which bothers me.

Mail looks good as Aqua and would suck as brushed metal.

I think it's just a matter of which Application it's used on and what you're personal preference is.

Hell I dont think it looks bad all, I dont know why this new look pisses people off so much, it looks slick.

It makes design/UI sense...

your utilities... bread and butter tools... need to be stableized. Brushed steel is more grounding and solid than Aqua.

It's not that Aqua isn't great, it's that a visual cue to help people understand the difference between the tools that apple provides and other third party apps. Having iTunes and QuickTime Player are visibly different. Because Apple expects you to use these things so much, they want new users to start making assumptions about how to use them... and they can all use similar usage paradigms...

So yeah... brushed steel doens't bother me.

All the "digital hub" apps are brushed metal, with the possible exception of Mail. N'est-ce pas?

-the valrus

If *Mail* is digital hub, so is Mac OS X. And Sherlock? Well, maybe. It's inconsistant, and I think consistancy should be higher up. Of course iTunes would look bad in Aqua, but then they would have designed it differently if they wanted to apply Aqua to it, right?

I don't understand how they could start to use a different theme for *any* application at all. I think QuickTime was the first.

But really, FinalCut Pro and DVD Studio Pro have yet another theme, and although it makes sense there (it's much cleaner to look at than Aqua), this tells me that stuff like Photoshop or Word could also make use of *one* *single* professional and productive theme for the whole experience. I actually like Aqua. It's the missing consistency even at Apple applications that make me feel sick a bit.

I love the brushed metal look, but agree, it should only be in certain apps. I think it fits QuickTime and iTunes perfectly... but Sherlock? no no... I think the brushed metal vs. Aqua subject is really an issue of what sort of character the application itself has... but it's still very subjective. I find it confusing, too

These are apps that help with the digital lifestyle. C'mon, instant messanging built by the Operating system manufacturer is like a dream come true. The Brushed Metal and Aqua helps to differ the 2 types of apps.

Brushed Metal is more help with the digital lifestyle.
Aqua is for everything else I guess.

Please don't flame me, this is all just my opinion.

I've always liked it in all its forms. Probably wouldn't want it in the main UI, but in specialty apps it's nice. I've never understood the very vocal negativism against it. I mean, I can understand people not preferring it, but it really seems like a ton of people HATE it! Like politics though, it's probably just a vocal minority. And a very insistent minority at that.

I'm not saying I'd want to see every stinking app use it, but for Quicktime, FCP and iTunes, it's nice.

about those Jaguar (or Jagwire if you are Steve Jobs) is that iChat and Sherlock now used the brushed metal appearance of QT, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why.

I mean, the logic in having QT Player and iTunes use the brushed metal is that they both are trying to emulate real world media appliances. Then they extend it to iPhoto, next to iChat and Sherlock? I just don't get it. So you now have more than half of Apple's iApps using Brushed Metal theme, and the other half using Aqua.

One of the reasons I just don't understand this supposed "logic" behind it is because Apple has really tried to control the UI to the point that it will not sanction ANY themes in OS X, nor give users an easy way to implement them. But it's alright for Apple to confuse the user with two seperate and distinct themes? OOOO KKKKKK...

I'm not a fan of Tog or Jef Raskin (I think they are both smart - but way too close minded to be useful in todays day and age) - but anyone who knows UI design will tell you this is absurd. Pick and theme and stick with it.

I dont think Apple should have to follow any type of consistency with the UI, thats one of the reasons why they are unique. As the brush metal look goes, I think it looks really slick and clean, Aqua is nice to but not as sparkling clean. One reason Apple I think doesnt want to allow themes is because when people saw screenshots or images of someones screen that was was running a theme, they might not know it was OS X. I think the most important thing now is that people see the beautiful GUI that OS X has on top of it, so people will recognise it, associate it with Apple then adopt to it. Themes can come later when it has a bigger user base.

To put things into perspective guys, boot in OS9 like I had to do the other day for the 1st time in months.

You'll agree with me that brushed metal and aqua ARE BOTH much easier on the eye than the old OS.

I just love everything that comes out of Cupertino so much since OSX was released, I cannot bring myself to complain. This is "computing pure bliss" folks.

I agree with julguribye.

Somehow, I don't like that stripes.

I hope that apple will give us more control over themes. :D

Since brushed metal has been included in OS X and developers could freely use it, would Apple release some more theme any time in the future for this future OS? What do you think?

Back