Am I the only one that likes the brushed metal?

Since it's from SpyMac.com, take it with a grain of salt...

-----

iChat, youChat, weChat – in metal

There seems to be a bit of a confusion regarding Apple’s metal ("textured") look, iChat and whether metal/textured is now "officially" part of the OS. For starters, metal has always been a part of OS X, just look at the iApps, Apple released earlier this and last year. It was, however, incredibly hard for programmers to emulate Apple’s metal look, some pretty ugly kludges were needed to turn an application into a metal one. Apple took care of this problem with its Jaguar Developer Tools, a checkbox ("create textured app") is all that is needed in this upcoming version to compile and distribute textured apps.

No matter how one thinks about the looks and handling of textured apps, Apples decision to give programmers the freedom to choose, warrants applause and even more so respect.
Developers could go as far as giving users a choice between Aqua and Metal, simply by clicking once and recompiling the application.

Well I would hope that at least the brushed metal would be an option in the System Prefs, like the Blue vs. Graphite Appearance options. One thing that I think looks horrible on the brushed metal apps is the x/-/+ title bar buttons. I find them completely out of place. Maybe they should be engraved buttons, not shiny candy drops.

Back