Analog to DV conversion AND TV

Stresspuppy

Registered
Ok, I have read through the threads here, and I have search all over the net with no real answer. I'm hoping someone can help.

I am looking for a device to help me convert my older analog videos to DV. The ability to watch TV using the same box is intriguing, though not required. In a perfect world, I would like to find something like the Elgato devices, but I would like hardware compression and HDTV tuner. The EyeTV Hybrid seems great on the TV but is software compression, so less quality (so I read) and more load on the CPU. The EyeTV 250 is hardware compression but is USB and doesn't handle HDTV signals.

Is there anything out there that can do this? What about something like an older EyeTV 500? They are discontinued, but if it works..... What about other things like the Canopus products or the Pyro A/V link? No TV option and expensive in comparison.

In the end, analog to digital conversion is more important, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to have his cake AND eat it too.

TIA!

Analog to DV can be done played through a DV Camera if you have one of those, that is the easiest way to do it. The ADC products are also great and easy to use.

I have a Panasonic PV-GS300 DV camcorder, but I don't think it has that ability. That's why I was asking. But if someone knows if they can do the conversion through the camera, please let me know how!!

Thanks.

//edit: I have confirmed that this camcorder canNOT do analog to digital passthrough. Good camcorder, but missing that feature.

So what ADC brands out there would you recommend?

But that'd mean you'd have to first record without compressing and then convert to H.264. Not the nicest solution. I for one would prefer something that can do it on-the-fly. I guess the OP as well.

true, but if no such thing is around, then you do what you can. i have both the 250 and hybrid, and love them both. but i almost always use the 250 because hdtv is still rare over the air. maybe when all over the air tv is hd, elgato will make a hd hardware encoder.

Back