And I thought I have heard and seen everything . . .

FarmerBob

Registered
Well I thought I've gotten use to 98% of my applications not crashing but, freezing or not responding as per the Force Quit window; my monitors not holding resolution nor coming up during startup or for NVRAM reset, just at the last second of startup; only certain BT headsets (the cheap ones) are recognized as peripherals after pairing; network speed down, mostly web related actions; Airport connection wavering constantly; fonts that work everywhere else on the planet except 10.4.1; ColorSync Profiles blowing in the breeze with no use to anything; lots of spinning beachballs; no it's just draining my supply of Xanax.

But now, all the alias' on the desktop are gone and the folder, directory or remote volume (iDisk) alias' on the right side of the dock divider when clicked on bring up iPhoto or Entourage and try to mail themselves. The iDisk and networked Volume alias' mount but also bring up iPhoto. And iPhoto won't quit. I get an error that says that it is importing photos and to wait. Well from what I see in the browser and the photo count below all is there, nothing to import and no matter how long I wait I still get the error every time I try to quit. The only recourse is Force Quit. Entourage quits as it should.

This is all after about two weeks of Tiger running great. And to top if off, I called AppleCare the other day and was told that all the problems, that weren't there in 10.3.x, were all my machine and couldn't be Tiger. How can it be my machine, when an alias doesn't do what it did this morning and is suppose to do? That's enough to make you like Bill Gates.

Anyone else having all this bizarreness? Please no, "Everything is fine on my machine," replies. Just those that are genuinely at wits end or were at wits end and have found solutions.

Thanks in advance. I think I'll go make a Xanax smoothie. :rolleyes:

Yes, I too have been having bizarre behavior and it's intermittent ARRRGGGHHH.

First, specs:

iMac 1GHz PowerPC G4
Flat panel
OS Tiger 10.4.1
512 MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce4 MX
VRAM 32 MB

SOMETIMES, when the computer wakes from sleep, and I try to copy text from TextEdit to Word 2004 I get the lovely "Application Not Responding" in Word 2004. ARRRGGHH
Then, when I'm typing in Word it SEEMS, and I've seen this in other posts, that when I hit one key I get another letter. Then there's the new "Can't empty trash" crap that's driving me nuts. I ALWAYS have to Force Quit Trash. Some Dashboard widgets don't auto-update, I have to remove them then put them back on the screen. Dashboard is the most completely USELESS hunk of CPU hogging GARBAGE I have EVER seen, since my old Atari 800 and Apple IIe days. What the hell GOOD is it? It's just eye candy. I'm actually EMBARRASSED for Apple. You can't print from it, that makes the "NEW" Stickies even more useless. The idiotic weather works great, like when it's 2:00 AM and it shows it's 80 degrees and SUNNY, way TO GO Apple! I have more and more gripes but what's the point? All they wanna do now is force us to beta test this garbage, sell iPods, and now download VIDEOS, OOOOOOHHHH, THAT gets my pants wet. Why not give us SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE for once Apple, huh? Instead of Dashcrap, and all the wasted code that goes with it, why not give us a FREE Word Processor that competes with Microshaft? Or maybe a nice DATABASE like a FileMaker Lite? Huh? Or, baring that, WHY NOT A STABLE, VIGOROUSLY BETA TESTED OS? I hope they monitor this site and see my post, if you do, I will ask Microsoft to create a page that shows why people SWITCHED FROM Tiger. Fix Tiger Apple or you will have lost me forever. I KNEW I should have stayed with my STABLE Panther.

Paul Higginbotham
Atlanta, GA

No disrespect intended, but don't you feel like guinea pigs? Isn't it customary for new OS releases to be bug infested? Perhaps by 10.4.5, we'll get an operating system that meets all our expectations?

Really?! Exactly what do testers get paid for... How do I claim my 'Software tester' wages from Apple - Is there a form somewhere I need to fill in?

Yeah, I feel like a freakin' guinea pig. And, why SHOULD we have to wait till 10.4.5? Jeez, I can only IMAGINE what those codeheads get paid. I think the attitude was let's have a massive advertising blitz, get everyone excited, slap it together, not test it, let the users beta it FOR us, and patch on a case by case basis. What competition did they have to worry about? Linux, gimme a break. LongInTheToothHorn? Maybe IT will be released by 2020. Nah, I think they pushed it out the door for a quick buck to finance R&D, advertising, video rights for the iPods. They KNOW they have a LOYAL, almost fanatical base who will shell out the dough to be frustrated enough to post these messages and THEN issue wimpy patches that ought to make it Panther-like by 2020. I just can't suffer fools, that's all. My 2 cents.

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? There are a lot of things that changed under the hood that could require a clean install. I found problems with an archive and install method from Mac OS X Jaguar to Panther. A clean install fixed it and I had no complaints.

Microsoft Office has been quirky on Mac OS X ever since it was released. I suspect Microsoft is working on Office 2005 but it should have been out before Mac OS X Tiger to fix any issues they knew might occur with the new operating system. The Apple applications like automator and iCal are generally slow on my computer because it is an iMac G3. Nothing comes to a crawl in my system like it did in Mac OS X Jaguar. Spotlight indexed my drives in less than 30 minutes and that includes a 80GB external hard drive. Dashboard is good for quick tasks depending on if it 1) has to access the internet and 2) you have a fast connection. The weather application, yellow pages, and the stock ticker stall for a few seconds. The calendar and iTunes controller work just fine. It is better that Dashboard doesn't live update in the background because it doesn't tax my CPU like other applications. Even when it is running I don't notice a high increase in CPU activity.

I think you bought a product based on a couple features instead of researching and deciding if it was worth a purchase. Apple has done a great job on Mac OS X Tiger thus far and 10.4.1 has fixed some major bugs and security issues that were there from the beginning. Mac OS X Panther is also a stable operating system. I suggest a downgrade if it will be useful to you. Have a nice day! ;)

Well kids, out shear frustration I wiped and resinstalled. I added nothing but the 10.4.1 update. And here's what I have encountered so far:

• Jabra BT headset - pairs and is available as a pariph now. iChat here I come.
  • Overall system very slow. Pull down menus take forever. 1.42DP, 2GB RAM (all good)
  • Just lost my iTunes radio feed for what reason who knows. Had to reclick. Good tunes through my cheesy headset. Time to switch to headphones. Ohh, that's better. Love "Secret Agent" Radio. iTunes is still flat compared to Preview in the Finder through 7.1 Surround Sound and 4500 watts. Wish the G4 had Optical Out.
  • Preferences take forever to open.
  • Monitor hard to setup. Onboard AGP card doesn't like my 23" CRT. Likes my 19" though. A switch is in the offing.
  • Had one heck of a time getting my network working. Airport - no problem (last time, big problem; Ethernet - What a pain (last time no prob) and I'm not sure it will work continuously so I have both Airport and Ethernet both up and running. Lucky I have 6 MBps SDSL.
  • Dock Freezes/Locks up.
  • Woo Hoo Lexmark has special 10.4 Drivers even for my 10 year old printer. Setup easier than ever. All settings are correct. For a change and a really cool 3D realistic Icon rendering of my printer in the dock now.
  • BT Keyboard is keeping up with my typing speed. Last install, many typos due to lag. You probably saw some.
  • Widgets take a while to open. I have to get the Hula Girl again.
Well at this rate it'll take at least a week to move in. So I'm gonna look around and do some investigating on others maladies and setup a plan. We'll have to see . . . I'd love to stay with Tiger, but Tigger has more bounce and he's a cartoon. So I have been told. It broke my heart.
frown.gif

ApeintheShell,
I wiped the partition adn did a 10.4 only install and bypassed the Migration Manager in the in staller, but used the standalone version later and only brought over only the very impaortant stuff. Now that I have installed again and have played with the virgin install, it is very barren. It will take a very long time to get it to where it will be useful. One thing I have noticed is that the Dock is very slow compared to Panther. So there is a performance comparison.

appleman.design,
I made more than enough, but used Risperdal instead. I need full gamut coverage.

Salt on the rim or sugar?

Back