Annoying Tiger Sounds

owaters

Registered
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to disable the annoying sound when you move a file/folder from one place to another?

Thanks

LOL.. I thought My HD was having problems.. that "thunk sound" when i moved files from one HD to another, but i do like the jet sound from mail thou...

There is a check box for "sounds in the user interface" or something similar (I don't have an English version). Uncheck it and the "thunk" should go away.

The MacOS X 'sounds' can be switched off.

Goto

1. System Preferences
2. Sound
3. Sound Effects
4. Uncheck the "Play user interface sound effects"

Hope it helps:)

cockneygeezer said:
The MacOS X 'sounds' can be switched off.

Goto

1. System Preferences
2. Sound
3. Sound Effects
4. Uncheck the "Play user interface sound effects"
Problem is, some of the old sounds were nice. I especially like the "dropping something in the trash" sound. But there's no way to pick and choose sounds. They're either all on, or all off.

Also, is it just me, or are these new sounds very "cheesy" and "Windoze-like"? The previous sounds had a "classy" quality. But these new ones are juvenile and corny.

I like them. But then I like corny. ;) Erh: What I mean to say is that you probably can replace them by copying other sounds to the right locations. I don't find them right now, but I guess someone will...

fryke said:
you probably can replace them by copying other sounds to the right locations. I don't find them right now, but I guess someone will...
I couldn't find them, either, and I don't have time to dig further. Desperately waiting for someone to announce their location!

/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/

There are some different folders in there for various different parts of the OS.

Cheers...

Do you know what happens if I delete one of these sounds. Will that cause an error of will it just ignore the sound?

No idea, but it might be best just to record nothing, and replace the normal file with that? Just so the system knows it's still there.

EDIT: And, I can't find "SystemSounds", even with hidden folders showing?

I deleted two sounds: that awful, new "put something in a folder" sound, as well as the new empty trash folder. No problems at all.

when i looked at the sounds, i saw a "move to trash.aif" (under finder) which sounds like a ball getting crumpled and tossed in the trash. I have tried all 3 ways of deleting an item, and i only get the "drag to trash.aif" (under dock) any ideas as to why that is and how i can change it?

(kinda the opposite of the purpose of this thread but what ever :) )

I'm not sure that sound is in use. If it is, it's either mislabeled, or something else is amiss. If you like that sound, you could probably rename it to have the same name as the dock/trash sound, then replace the dock/trash sound with the renamed one. (But I'm not responsible for whatever happens on your computer.) :)

Convert said:
[EDIT] I can't even see the core folder...
I get as far as Components, then it says "no items".[/EDIT]

owaters said:
Exactly the same here.
Spotlight can't find either.

Don't look in "/Library/Components/", look in "/System/Library/Components/".

Then control click (or right-click if you have more than one button on your mouse), on "CoreAudio.component" and select "Show package contents".

Open the folder "Contents", and inside it open "Resources", there you'll find "SystemSounds". Inside "SystemSounds" you'll find five folders, each containing sound files for different parts of OS X.

Back