Annyoing renaming, also in Jaguar?

Kris

Registered
Ok, there's something in OSX that drives me mad. When I want to rename a file, I click on it and expect the blinking cursor to show up. It does, after at least two clicks. The problem is that it often dissapears at once, so I have to click at least two more times. This is extremely annoying if you have to rename, let's say twenty mp3s. There's nothing to be done, I know, but does any of you Jaguar users know if it's the same in 10.2? :rolleyes:

Kris

I don't know about Jaguar, but in 10.1, its easier to rename the files using the inspector (cmd-I) under "name & extension"

Trick I found that always works for me. Put files in list view. Click once on name to select, then tap on an arrow key. there's your blinking cursor! Left arrow puts cursor at beginning, right arrow puts cursor at end. Also, single-clicking on a file name (not on the icon) in list view always makes name changeable, just start typing to replace entire name.

Originally posted by xaqintosh
I don't know about Jaguar, but in 10.1, its easier to rename the files using the inspector (cmd-I) under "name & extension"

that works, but...it's more of a pain to rename multiple files that way. in fact, one time i was renaming about a hundred mp3's, and i was using the info window, and midway thru my task the Finder crashed. which was not good. plus you have to click back and forth between the info window and the directory that your files are in, and that just makes for more work.

i agree with Kris, renaming files (even in list view) is a pain, especially when you have to rename multiple files.

i didn't know you could use the arrow keys like that, though...yeah that helps a lot, actually. good call DeltaMac.

I tried what you suggested, but it's not like Classic at all. Another problem is the fact that you can't see the cursor when you're moving it with the arrows. I wonder how it's possible to make such a good feature so bad, - so suddenly.. Oh well, I suppose Apple will fix it soon. :)

Kris

Of course there are very powerful UNIX tools to do file renaming from the command line. Works great when you have to rename hundreds of files.

Back