Anti-Virus for MacPro ...

vja4Him

Registered
Anti-Virus for MacPro ...

Somebody has hacked our Internet connection and downloaded illegal files. I'm looking for Anti-Virus software to use with my MacPro.

I've already called our ISP (Charter). They told me there is nothing they can do, since I use my own router. I called D-Links, and they helped to set up a secure connection. I asked them about setting up a second level of security (recommended by Charter), but they told me I didn't need that, and refused to help me with the MAC ID Filtering (recommended by Charter).

I called Apple Tech Support and they helped me to adjust some other settings (Firewall on, Sharing Files off).

I just want to have the maximum security to hopefully stop whoever is hacking and downloading illegal files ...

Here are two you can try "ClamXav" or "Virus Barrier Express". My question to you is how will an anti-virus program protect you from hackers? There is no known mac virus in the wild that will infect your Mac ! If you had an unsecured router (Wi-Fi?) then it could be anyone.If your on a wired network then it might be friend or family.Just ask my grandson about this! As far as help from Charter is concerned,Fuggettaboutit! They are useless when it comes to Macs. I know,they're my ISP as well.

Here are two you can try "ClamXav" or "Virus Barrier Express". My question to you is how will an anti-virus program protect you from hackers? There is no known mac virus in the wild that will infect your Mac ! If you had an unsecured router (Wi-Fi?) then it could be anyone.If your on a wired network then it might be friend or family.Just ask my grandson about this! As far as help from Charter is concerned,Fuggettaboutit! They are useless when it comes to Macs. I know,they're my ISP as well.

Somebody has to be hacking our Wireless connection. Hopefully with the tech support today from D-Links and Apple Tech Support, our connection will be more secured.

I wonder why D-Links refused to help me set up our router with an extra level of security (as recommended by Charter). The Charter Tech Support told me that I need a second level of security having something to do with MAC ID Filtering ...

The best defenses you can have across all pieces of hardware that you own (router, computer, etc.) are strong and unique passwords.

I'd be willing to bet by simply changing the passwords associated with your router and computer that you could negate the need for any kind of anti-virus software (and thus save yourself money as well).

Rules of thumb in creating passwords:

1) use a combination of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols
2) use a password that is at LEAST 8 characters long, the longer, the better
3) do NOT use words or phrases, birthdays, or meaningful strings in your password
4) do NOT use the same password for more than one device/service

Horrible passwords include the following:

Adam123
Rover999
LetMeIn
p4ssw0rd
2011five-oh

Good passwords include the following:

$$tTg87(.,Ed
Th6^^09/'##
Sw%5%g-_00(*)
@@$$.gGghy^666

The best way to check and see if you've picked a good password is to try and type it from memory. If you can type your password from memory, you have failed in picking an adequate password. You should not be able to remember your password(s) without having typed it/them over 20 times or so, and you should have to reference a piece of paper with your password(s) written down in order to type them correctly, at least initially.

Got the WPA2 set up, with MAC addresses for our three computers. Changed name of network to nonsense, with a 15-character pre-shared key.

Also turned off File Sharing, and set Firewall to maximum.

Have Admin password for Router set up (would only allow 15 characters max).

Will also unplug router when not using computer(s).

How can I hide the SSID, and still be able to get online with my Archos 70 Internet Tablet?

You might want to add "Little Snitch" to everything else.It will notify you of any programs calling "home" and allows you to authorize or deny it. One last thing, there are several small apps that will notify you if another machine jumps on your wifi signal. Try looking on Mac Update or similar sites.

Go here, "http://www.ehow.com/how_2148472_hide-ssid-service-set-identifier.html".Good directions on removing your SSID.

You might want to add "Little Snitch" to everything else.It will notify you of any programs calling "home" and allows you to authorize or deny it. One last thing, there are several small apps that will notify you if another machine jumps on your wifi signal. Try looking on Mac Update or similar sites.

I couldn't stand Little Snitch! So many windows kept popping up every few seconds ... !!! Driving me bonkers ... !!!!!

I trashed the app, but those windows still kept popping up! The demo period has expired, so hopefully those annoying windows will be gone ....

I can't hide the SSID, because my tablet can't get online with the SSID hidden. So, I have no choice but leave the SSID visible.

Run the LittleSnitch installer again and use it to remove LittleSnitch. You won't get rid of it simply by trashing its application frontend. However: All those popup messages are there for a _reason_: Read them and learn how to use them. If it asks you whether Safari should be able to reach the internet, allow it to _always_ do that. So far so good, right? The interesting thing about LittleSnitch is it'll ask you about ANYTHING that wants to connect to the net, i.e. it'll identify baddies that way. But of course you have to train it. I have LittleSnitch in effect for a couple of years, and sure enough after a couple of days you don't see any such messages now, because the filters have been trained.

Back