Antivirus program within Windows?

tweaker301670

Registered
I'm planning on upgrading to an MBP soon, and might be running Windows at some point. What's the best way to defend against Windows-based viruses on an Intel Mac? (I've heard Norton stuff is crap in general, so no "Dual Action".)

(I guess what I'm asking is do you install a Windows antivirus program into the Windows partition, and if so, which one? I've seen some recommendations for AVG, which is free, but also read some reviews which rated BitDefender as the best PC anti-virus software [not free].)

Eset NOD32 would be my choice over BitDefender. Both of these update the virus definitions when available as opposed to a pre-set schedule, but NOD32 is lighter resource-wise.

According to a report I recently read (unfortunately I cannot recall the URL) ClamWin will at best detect just under half of all Windows viruses.

I use Bitdefender, a programme that enjoys high praise in the industry (one example here). It's not that expensive.

Thanks, that's the one I read in some review somewhere (PC magazine?) as being the best all-around commercial PC anti-virus program.

Question for you: do you use the Internet Security version or just the Antivirus one? (The only options the former has which seem valuable to me are the firewall and wi-fi access notification, but does Windows have those capabilities built-in? [or are are BitDefender's versions more effective?].)

The only options the former has which seem valuable to me are the firewall and wi-fi access notification, but does Windows have those capabilities built-in?

The Windows firewall prevents malicious hackers from making connections to your computer. However, it doesn't prevent malicious programs you've accidentally installed (i.e. spyware) from phoning home. The Windows firewall blocks unauthorized incoming connections, but it does nothing to the unauthorized outbound connections.

That's why people still buy commercial firewall packages despite a firewall being included for free with Windows.

You've got to be joking. You might as well not have an anti-virus if it doesn't do on access scanning.

Well, it does do it on Unix systems through a scanning daemon. There's even a ClamXav Sentry on the Mac OS X version that actively scans a specific directory that you point it to (I have it pointing to my home directory on my iMac G5). It's only on Windows that it doesn't have that feature yet.

Question for you: do you use the Internet Security version or just the Antivirus one? (The only options the former has which seem valuable to me are the firewall and wi-fi access notification, but does Windows have those capabilities built-in? [or are are BitDefender's versions more effective?].)
BitDefender Anti-Virus offers these features:

ANTIVIRUS & ANTISPYWARE
  • Protects your PC in real time from known viruses, spyware and other malware with hourly updates
  • Blocks unknown viruses using advanced proactive detection techniques
  • Monitors and prevents spyware threats in real-time
  • Detects and removes the newest breed of hidden threats known as rootkits
  • Provides a load to a minimum

ANTI-PHISHING
  • Protects against phishing attacks by filtering all accessed web pages for fraud attempts

BitDefender Security provides the above features, plus:

FIREWALL
  • Controls applications’ access to the Internet while “hiding” your computer from hackers
  • Helps prevent unauthorized access to your Wi-Fi network by notifying you when computers log in to the network.
ANTISPAM
  • Prevents different types of spam and scam e-mails from reaching your Inbox
  • Now responds faster to new spamming techniques with new adaptive engines
PARENTAL CONTROL
  • Blocks access to inappropriate websites and e-mail
  • Allows or blocks web access during specified time periods
  • Reduces the risk of identity theft by preventing personal information smooth gaming experience by reducing the system leaks via e-mail or web

Viro's helpful comments suggest that the security package may be better, given its inclusion of a firewall that may be more effective than Window's own version.

Back