antivirus software recommended

scng

Registered
though there're much fewer virus attacking mac compared w/ windows, it is good to install antivirus s/w for protection. is norton still a popular choice as in windows-based machine?

Virex is recommended and available to .Mac members, and it seems to do pretty good.

I run absolutely no virus software and haven't done so since OS 9 came out. OS 7 was the most vulnerable to virii in my experience, as that was about the time that Apple had a little more market share and there were Macintosh-specific virii about.

I have yet to see or hear about any virii for Mac OS X. There have been some proofs-of-concept, but nothing came of them, and Apple fixed the holes before anyone could do anything destructive with them, if anyone was trying to do anything destructive with them.

Norton AntiVirus is what is on my machine. I have not had any problems with it and it does find those viruses that attack windows machines in email attachments. I had one yesterday that was placed in quarantine. While it does not affect the Mac, you don't want to spread it to your windows friends (at least I don't) unknowingly.

And that is the only Norton product I have on my machine.

I had Virex, but it's slow and of no real use.

I don't propagate Windows Viruses neither, as I don't forward messages that I do not write.

Both Norton's and Virex have been known to cause problems on OS X. I don't use any virus software on OS X.

I don't run any virus software either. Absolutely no point at all.

Even if I get a windows Virus in an email, then it can't propigate and email itself off to my windows using mates, as I'm running a Mac.

what problems have been caused by norton & virex on osx?
any significant virus/trojan attack reported so far? though it must be much much fewer.

i agree Cheryl that be a responsible person, not to let virus spread to other machine even if you are not affected. risks exist even though it is small. i use xp at work too!

Norton's has been mentioned at various sites causing problems with the Utilities, Firewall, as has been Virex.

Search MacFixIt for more info.

As far as being responsible, don't forward attachments that you're not sure of.

Norton AntiVirus's "auto-protect" feature has been known to cause many-a kernel panic. It may have been fixed by now, but any software that isn't tested thoroughly enough and is released to the public with a problem like that gets an 'F' in my book.

Back