Any G5 Troubles, Y'all?

jmo

Registered
Anybody see this one?....

Twice now, upon waking my dual G5 after it has slept through the night, the 20" LCD Cinema Display shows a scrolling cubist abstraction. This is with the ATI 9600 and OSX 10.2.8.

Also, the system does not always put the display to sleep when it is suppossed to. I never saw these problems on a CRT or my iBook.

I tried to call Apple support but the wait was too much. Will try again on Monday.

---jmo

I just got my G5 this weekend. :D I love it, but it's not entirely trouble free. I just rebooted with the option key down (supposed to let you choose between bootable drives.) The main hard drive came up, but none of the others did. The watch cursor kept turning, and then, slowwwly, over the course of about 5 minutes, all the G5's fans sped up to top speed. The box went from nearly silent to sounding like a 747 preparing for takeoff. Weird.

The G5's fan speeds are software-controlled through OS X, so unless OS X is actually booted, the fans will run at maximum speed.

jmo said:

Twice now, upon waking my dual G5 after it has slept through the night, the 20" LCD Cinema Display shows a scrolling cubist abstraction. This is with the ATI 9600 and OSX 10.2.8.

Also, the system does not always put the display to sleep when it is suppossed to. I never saw these problems on a CRT or my iBook.

I tried to call Apple support but the wait was too much. Will try again on Monday.

---jmo

Haven't seen that one but I have the beeping/crackle sounds through my speakers... faulty PSU I'm told. I've also heard several tales of G5 PSU's frying machines and "burning" up - not reassuring. You can see these posts on Apple's G5 support forum. If you have a G5, you may want to unplug it when your not around - john.

jmo said:

---jmo

I haven't got a G5, but I did have a similar problem with 10.2.8 with my 17" PB...

It would go to sleep for a second, but then, like a disobedient child being put to bed, it would wake right up again and refuse to do what it was told...

Since moving to Panther, all gone - dream system again...

Don't know if this is completely relevant, but it seemed like you might be experiencing something similar to me...

ed

;)

jmo said:

Can you possibly take a screenshot when this happens so we know what you're actually talking about? ;)

The only "problem" with my Dual G5 and 20" Cinema Display is that when I HAVE :mad: to work with other computers and especially Wintels/Amds, I hate my job as a tech person! :mad:

Now that I'm thinking of it: I HATE YOU APPLE! :mad:

:rolleyes: :p

:D ;) :)

arden said:
Can you possibly take a screenshot when this happens so we know what you're actually talking about? ;)

You got it! ---jmo

Attachments

• L1000579a.JPG
    L1000579a.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 32
you are screwed. i had the same problem and after calling apple 3 times they directed me to my local apple fixer-place. there they found that the video card is bad and i've been waiting on a replacement from apple for 1 week now. they are supposedly on back order. sorry you had to here it this way, but that's the deal.

oh, and the hardware test that comes on your apple dvd won't detect it.

My Dual 2Ghz G5 arrived on Friday, Saturday I installed all my software from my G4. Saturday night I transferred my Radeon graphics card (which has worked fine in my G4 for about 6 months and supports 2 VGA monitors - with 1 adapter). This worked fine and I ran my 2 VGA flat screen monitors for the rest of the evening. Shut down Saturday night.

Sunday morning the trouble began...

Tried to turn on the G5. Status light came on and it looked like it was starting up. But no tone. And it didn't start up. The fan just got louder and louder. So I forced it to shut down. Tried a number of things suggested in the manual and nothing seemed to be able to resolve the issue.

So I switched the graphics card back to the original one from the G5. This also didn't resolve the problem.

Finally called Apple Support. They could resolve the problem over the phone so I'm going to have to get them to send an engineer next week.

This is soooo frustrating. Apple may consider the G5 to be the "World's fastest computer" but at the moment mines the worlds slowest. It also can't run Virtual PC which is a joke!

If anybody has any suggestions of ways I could try and get the worlds slowest computer to start up I'd be very grateful.

One doubtful Apple addict. :(

Apple is going to send me another ATI 9600. Until then they suggested that I leave the G5 running... So I started folding proteins at home.

Thanks for all the support, y'all!

---jmo

webkuh said:
If anybody has any suggestions of ways I could try and get the worlds slowest computer to start up I'd be very grateful.

One doubtful Apple addict. :(

Did the hardware test show anything? ----JMO

My new Dual G5 w/20" cinema display works fine except DVD playback. I usually get green horizontal marks during DVD playback. I thought it was the DVD but all DVD's play the same "terrible" - any one have any ideas?

webkuh, can you boot from the installation CD (holding the C key down at boot with the install CD in the drive)?

Some ideas:

Boot in "safe" mode (hold shift key down at boot).

Try removing RAM cartridges (leave enough to run at all, and in pairs on the G5 I think).

Remove all peripherals, ethernet connections, etc.

Disconnect any extra hard drives inside (non-system hard drives). Power and ribbon cable.

Put back in the original video card.

Make sure all your PCI/AGP cards are firmly seated. If your new card was slightly off it could have fried something. Might be too late if that's the case.

I had the same problem. The video card fixed it , but I also insisted that they replace the logic board as we had mauled it during troubleshooting, resetting the PMU, on-off-on-off-on-off ....... and trying to clear the PMU ......

This is a very widely reported problem but primarily related to bad video memory.

Regards,

Adi

I have not yet tried any of your suggestions but when using VLC insted of the Apple dvd player everything works fine. Strange huh? Maybe it's not bad video ram, perhaps it's just the apple DVD app.

Back