Any good programs like Picasa for Mac?

I've not kept up with this thread in awhile - but just read through the thing again to catch up. I'm hoping whoever suggested picasa 3 will have an osx version is right... I'm so fed up with iphoto right now it's not even funny. I second whoever said they don't even get to enjoy their photos because of iphoto. I agree - I don't bother. I tried to transfer some photos over from a trip this weekend, only like 55 or so (granted they were all 5mp) and iphoto threw a ridiculous fit reminescent of windows! I couldn't believe it. I'm really starting to feel like iphoto is apples common solution for the basic mac user who happens to have less than 1000 pictures, and doesn't do a whole lot with them other than email, blog, or print. It's sad. I shouldn't have to spend big bucks to get a solution on the mac that works as well as picasa does. I've got over 9000 photos, so I know that is a load but my powerbook shouldn't run like an old windows computer with ONLY iphoto importing a few more photos. If none of you have, I suggest everyone who has posted here email google and persistently request that picasa make it to osx, native. I'm considering qpict as suggested, I downloaded release 7 and will semi review it on here if others are interested in a comparison - it would be nice if current users of qpict would do the same :)

Just imported all backups from ext. HD as well - 10.8 GB in less than 1 minute still! Qpict is gaining cred with me...

In my mind iPhoto wins hands down but one must investigate all of it's capabilities - as with any high-end app.

I use it all the time, but for all around enhancing of digital photos my choice is Adobe Photoshop Elements. Amazing program for Macs. $99 I believe.

which version are you talking about? if it's 5, all I can say is we have very different opinions. I wouldn't consider iPhoto a "high end app". If it's 6, I can't say - haven't used it, and don't plan on buying it.

First of all it's iPhoto 7 and it's Free! Comes with the iLife Suite. I just got a new iMac Intel 2G machine and iPhoto, iTunes, iChat etc., all were pre-installed, latest versions. How can you beat that? I think iPhoto 7 is very high end compared to much earlier versions.

Elements is v. 3 I believe. I like that a lot too. I run a small photograhy biz with iPhoto and Elements and honestly don't need any more.

You should get a manual for iPhoto and check out the new features. Like I said, it's a free app with any new Mac and Tiger.

Should mention that, of course, there are better programs than iPhoto out there ... but for Apple to install it free of charge on all new Macs and/or OSX ... not bad. I for one can't afford a high priced 'better' program and I've found that iPhoto can do a lot if one takes the time to learn it.

First of all it's iPhoto 7 and it's Free! Comes with the iLife Suite. I just got a new iMac Intel 2G machine and iPhoto, iTunes, iChat etc., all were pre-installed, latest versions. How can you beat that? I think iPhoto 7 is very high end compared to much earlier versions.

Elements is v. 3 I believe. I like that a lot too. I run a small photograhy biz with iPhoto and Elements and honestly don't need any more.

You should get a manual for iPhoto and check out the new features. Like I said, it's a free app with any new Mac and Tiger.

well in that case I'll go buy a new iMac Intel 2G if the software is free on it! Then it would only cost me what, like 2 grand instead of 80 bucks:rolleyes:

I'm on an older powerbook - this thread originated during gripes over iphoto 4/5 era (which was free for us too). I've heard the new software has improved, but for the money it still isn't worth it for must of us still using iphoto 4/5 because some of us don't use much more of the suite besides iphoto, so it would essentially cost us 80 bucks....not "free". Congrats on your new mac though, I'd love to get one of the new iMacs, but need a laptop for school, and my powerbook hasn't failed me yet...

.. and it probably won't. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, I paid $1144 for my new 17" 2G Intel iMac and it is awesome. Very fast and the screen is amazingly bright and sharp. Not a bad price.

well in that case I'll go buy a new iMac Intel 2G if the software is free on it! Then it would only cost me what, like 2 grand instead of 80 bucks:rolleyes:

Or, you could get a mini. Then it'd cost you $599. Much more reasonable..

Seriously, though, $79 is not bad at all for iPhoto AND iMovie AND iDVD. That's like, 25 bucks an app. About what you'd pay for similar apps (if not less).

Hey everybody,

This topic is almost a year now, and we're still no closer with finding any good enough replacement for iPhoto. Does anybody know when ( and if ) is Picasa 3 going to be released, and if there's going to be a version for Mac?

Sag: very nice deal - I got a steal on my powerbook, it was the last gen of the G4s fully loaded for $1220, long story but it was a good ebay transaction for once - looks like you got an even better deal though!

Eric: You still have the cost of a display in there, plus basics which put you closer to a grand. And while the iLife suite is competitively priced for what it includes, for those (such as myself) that really only use iPhoto it isn't such a great deal.

Captain: Thats a good question we are ALL waiting to have answered...but, it looks imminent - if you've seen there mac app for uploading to google photo, it would only make since to soon have picasa available too. You would think the reverse would make more since (main app before some minor support app) but there was a reason I guess. It was sort of a quick side project for one of the guys there, so they went ahead an released it.

What do you mean by "works pretty well for me"? And what version of iPhoto are you using?

BTW - I've started using spotlight comments to just tag folders with keywords, then I use Phoenix Slides to view them. For speed, reliability, and simplicity it's great.

I'm using iPhoto 2 on my iBook vintage 2003 running 10.2.8.

iPhoto Buddy makes it possible to have as many iPhoto libraries as you want, name them anything you want and store them anywhere you want, even on an external drive.

It means you don't have to have one humungous library of all your photos.

Give it a try and see what you think - it's free.

Cheers
Alan

BTW I'm not familiar with Picasa.

Alan R that link (as you've probably seen) is only the web album uploader and doesn't do much good. As for not being familiar with Picasa on a PC; in my opinion ignorance would be bliss. If you've read through this thread you will find varying opinions, but from what I've read here and at other sites it seems that iPhoto 6 competes fairly well. So if you've got 6, enjoy.

SF
I don't know where the link took you but you should be able to download the 7.2MB zipped dmg from that site - there's 3 locations to choose from.

Good luck. I'll enjoy iPhoto 7 (or 6 or something) when I upgrade to 10.4.8 in a month or two (Christmas present from the family maybe?)

Cheers
Alan

What I meant by it not doing you any good is that this application is not any form of a substitute for iPhoto - it's merely an application that allows you to upload to the google web albums, nothing more. I've used the app already - and that is why I say this.

Back