Any way to organize/arrange menu bar?

sholmes

Registered
My menu bar has a lot of items in it. Is there any way to arrange them in the order I want? I know the default Apple icons can be moved by holding down the open Apple key (or whatever it's called), but 3rd party ones cannot. Does anybody have any idea how to do this? Thanks!

Apple knows how to do this, but they just don't share all the tricks.
One choice that you have is to remove the icons, and put them back. You can try experimenting with the install sequence to see if you can change the order as you put them in place. I'm not sure if that will stay, because even the Apple ones tend to move around on restarts or log outs.

Yeah, third party menubar applications never seem to stay in the same place after a restart. To get around this, instead of having them all launch randomly at startup, I put all but one of their icons in the Dock, and load them from there in the order I want them to appear (from right to left.) The one menu app that I do allow to launch at startup, of course, will always be the first to appear to the left of Apple's own menubar icons (Display, Volume, etc.) A stupid solution to a stupid problem. ;)

Back