Anyone at MWSF04 tried iPhoto 4?

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
I really looking forward to iPhoto 4. Anyone at MWSF04 tried it? How's the performance? Is it really improved?

ddma said:
I really looking forward to iPhoto 4. Anyone at MWSF04 tried it? How's the performance? Is it really improved?

I also am really looking forward to iPhoto 4 (although I don't know what happend to iPhoto 3???). I know that Steve always demo's on a the best Mac there is, which was a G5 so ofcouse it looked to operate well, I just so curious as to how well it will do on my G4. I'm also hoping that I'll finally be able to have sub-albums.

Anyway had a chance to try it out?

pwharff said:
I also am really looking forward to iPhoto 4 (although I don't know what happend to iPhoto 3???). I know that Steve always demo's on a the best Mac there is, which was a G5 so ofcouse it looked to operate well, I just so curious as to how well it will do on my G4. I'm also hoping that I'll finally be able to have sub-albums.

Anyway had a chance to try it out?

Are THERE SUB ALBUMS? THERE BETTER BE!!! EVERYONE REQUESTED THEM!

Well, I'm going to the expo tomorrow, I'll give you guys a report, how about? :)

it was definitly faster launching with over 3000 photos in it. of course everything else was faster on the 20"imac than on my old grape imac, but i doubt it would have been that much faster if it hadn't been improved. i was pretty impressed. what wasn't speeded up was full size pic viewing. still takes a few seconds to fully load the full size shot.

Can you define your own sub-albums? I remember seeing that it automatically put photos from different years in their own sub-album (or something like that).

Could I create a 'Holidays' (Vactations) parent album and then have sub-albums for my different holidays, ie: 'Eastern Europe 2002', 'Greece 2003', etc.

Arden said:
Well, I'm going to the expo tomorrow, I'll give you guys a report, how about? :)

sounds good. Take some pictures and stuff and let us know how it all works out. Also, let us know if there are SUB ALBUMS (for ex. an album you can create yourself called vacations... and then in that parent album have other albums that have all of your vacations such as "canada trip" and "utah trip" etc.)

Just like one main folder with a bunch of other folders inside of that main folder.

ddma said:
Well, as a starter, it took a long long time to convert the old iPhoto database files (4500 photos) to the new format... :eek: And then it generated a "recovered photos" folder where it would appear that some photos got duplicated. I guess it came out of some database corruption from earlier times.
As for performance. It's definitely faster and scrolling is pretty smooth on G4 867MHz, 640Mb RAM. One other brilliant improvement is that changing titles, notes, dates no longer take forever to process. Love it!
Finally, now iPhoto has a database array for 25,000 photos, does that mean with iPhoto 5, 6 etc, we'll see further incremental increases in the array size? I can foresee the day when my private photo collection would reach the 50,000+ mark given the almost cost free structure of digital photography...

to answer the above questions-- no. iphoto 4 does not support sub-albums. not that i can see, anyway. i wish there were a better system of organizing the photos instead of using keywords. i hate that method. it's just hard to get used to.

pwharff said:
I also am really looking forward to iPhoto 4 (although I don't know what happend to iPhoto 3???).

I think Apple's trying to even out the versioning scheme of the apps that ship with iLife. If you noticed, before, there was iPhoto 2, iTunes 3, iMovie 3 and iDVD. Now, the package is called "iLife 04" (signifying 2004, apparently) and the versions have been adjusted accordingly... now we're at iTunes 4, iMovie 4 and iPhoto 4 -- the only exceptions being iDVD and GarageBand, I believe.

It may have been just too confusing for some people -- perhaps there were comments like, "iTunes is version 4, but I only get version 2 of iPhoto?" Now, with the common versioning scheme, you can be assured you're getting the latest and greatest of all the apps.

The only question left is... when Apple upgrades a product, say, iTunes, to version 5, will the other applications follow suit?

I bet they'll update them all around the same time and release it as iLife '02. BTW, that's the same thing that Adobe did with ImageReady when they updated Photoshop to 7: IR went from 3 to 7.

I was thinking... what happens if you have more than 25,000 shots? Does it start to bog down at that point?

If you have more than 25,000 shots, you need to put the camera down (unless you're a professional photographer). Not even pro photojournalists keep that many active. Archive, burn to CD or throw on an external drive.
And it would be iLife '05 or upward until Life X :D , not 'iLife '02 (unless your clock is really slow).

I'm afraid I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does iPhoto 4 support sub-folders?

I see one answer above saying yes, another saying no, and I can't find the ability anywhere within the program or help documentation.

Please tell me I'm overlooking something!

lgb

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I think Apple's trying to even out the versioning scheme of the apps that ship with iLife. If you noticed, before, there was iPhoto 2, iTunes 3, iMovie 3 and iDVD. Now, the package is called "iLife 04" (signifying 2004, apparently) and the versions have been adjusted accordingly... now we're at iTunes 4, iMovie 4 and iPhoto 4 -- the only exceptions being iDVD and GarageBand, I believe.

It may have been just too confusing for some people -- perhaps there were comments like, "iTunes is version 4, but I only get version 2 of iPhoto?" Now, with the common versioning scheme, you can be assured you're getting the latest and greatest of all the apps.

The only question left is... when Apple upgrades a product, say, iTunes, to version 5, will the other applications follow suit?

iDVD is version 4 as well. Only GarageBand is different at version 1

Back