Anyone else get locked up while the fan goes to 10,000 rpm?

jeffjohnson312

Registered
Hello-

Every coupla days or so, seems I get hung up, not even a beach ball, HUNG up, as the fan starts to blow like its gonna lift off.

I'm doing pretty heavy editing on FCP, lately seems to happen when capturing, but not always.

I also hear something that sounds like a clicking, re-setting type sound.

Not sure if I am pushing the limits of what these things can do or not.

Any advice appreciated.

Power G5, Dual 2, 1.5 g ram OSX 10.3

I have it happen every couple of weeks when I leave BOINC running all night. I wake up and the G5 is doing its impression of a vaccuum cleaner.

It's never happened while I'm actively using it, though.

If it's happening a lot, you might want to have it looked at.

If it only happens during firewire capture, it could be a problem with your firewire cable, or even your camera. If possible, try a different cable and/or camera and see if it happens less often.

If you have AppleCare, call them now. If the clicking sounds almost like chirping, that means the power supply is dying.

Satcomer said:
If you have AppleCare, call them now. If the clicking sounds almost like chirping, that means the power supply is dying.

Care to elaborate more on that? My PowerMac every once and a while does this steady kinda chirp sound but then it stops.

HateEternal said:
Care to elaborate more on that? My PowerMac every once and a while does this steady kinda chirp sound but then it stops.

If you read some of the Apple discussions, there were SOME newer rev b G5's (only a certain batch for a month's manufacturing batch) that were made that had less then adequate power supplies. The discussions people are saying that AppleCare is quietly replacing them. At least that is what I read into them.

Back