Anyone really dig the new 'iTunes7 -ified' look of Leopard?

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
I'm not a HUGE fan if it, but it doesn't look bad necessarily. However, I can't say the same about the new look of folders, they look terrible! They're so dull and bland when compared to the current, blue, colorful and vibrant folders. Other than the overall look of the windows and folders, I'd have to say I'm really digging the 3D dock, and other features.

Opinions?

It's clean, and it's (apparently) consistent. So I think it's a step in the right direction, even though I don't think it looks great.

I hadn't noticed the new folder appearance before. I just checked the Finder video on Apple's Leopard preview page, and I see what you mean. They only show the small form (16x16) in lists, though. Are there any screenshots of larger sizes? It's possible the larger sizes look a bit different. The current folder icons have never looked very good at small sizes, and if Apple is pushing list view more (à la iTunes), it makes sense to change them. I was never crazy about the angle of the folder in the current icon, either. It makes it harder to add distinguishing characteristics to folder icons (especially at smaller sizes). Open your Movies folder in the Finder, and look at the icon in the title bar. It's a folder with a....dark square-ish thing in it. That's not useful.

It might also be that they're redesigning it to allow for more distinctive dynamic folder icons, which would be based on the folder's contents.

I agree on the folder image idea, but I like the color much better on the blue ones. The new folders are like play-dough.

I don't really like the new generic folder icons either but I don't think they're set completely in stone. That is the whole look of Leopard may undergo changes by the time it's released.

looks a lot better than the horribly distracting striped madness that they used to have...

menu.gif

::vomits::

i like the uniformity, and I like that they are getting rid of the drawer and opting for iLife '06 style embedded left or right column.

Yep. Consistency is king. I hope they don't start to invent "new new Unified" - for iTunes only - the moment Leopard is released.

I rather like the whole design (from what I can see so far). This could be an upgrade worthy of a 100 bucks.

I actually liked the "striped madness." Of course, I was running it on a Studio Display with a similar appearance, which I'm sure was the whole point. I felt then like the interface took on a much more real 3D look-and-feel, as if it had been carved from the display itself.

I hate the new icons for files - they are soooo HUGE! And the folder icons aren't much better! I don't like these "tile" icons.

I only just realised that Steve never mentioned the fact that Leopard is resolution independant. This was apparently confirmed by apple (kind of...in the sense that it was mentioned in WWDC email), so AFAIK it is not a rumor.

i was looking forward to a demo of this. I recall he did zoom in to the dock pretty close, but he never did explicitly state that it was a fact.

can anyone confirm?

Basically, it means that your menubar doesn't have to be exactly 22px high or so. ;) It means you can zoom in and all UI elements are scaled without pixelating - unless they are bitmap based. Or they need textures with high enough resolution to still render properly at higher resolutions.

Basically, it means that your menubar doesn't have to be exactly 22px high or so. ;) It means you can zoom in and all UI elements are scaled without pixelating - unless they are bitmap based. Or they need textures with high enough resolution to still render properly at higher resolutions.
Ah, that's so cool!

I'm very disappointed with the new look. I personally hate Coverflow and think it's only good as a gimmick; it's a sad replacement for the innovation I'd expect in Apple's new Finder.

I've never liked the iTunes sidebar look either. I think that the "bars" are too small to naturally click on, and reading a bunch of folder names vertically is stressful and annoying.

The new quick view thing is nice, but now earthshaking. We've had Preview for years, and it's worked just fine for me alongside Spotlight organizing my company's 11 years of prepress work.

For me the next step in GUIs is more natural interaction, not hunting down a menu vertically. Give me a circular menu any day.

I agree the new look is not as amazing as I was hoping (and yes, coverflow is useless. It looks great but is horribly impractical). When he announced there was a "new desktop" my mouth opened slightly in anticipation. However as he ran through it, my jaw slowly returned to its normal position. It is cool, but I guess with all the hype and delays I was expecting something more drastic (such as an iMac with iPhone-like touch capabilities)

having said that,I will be buying a copy the day it comes out. There are many very useful features, especially in iChat (remote desktop like capabilities w00t), Mail (to do list and RSS aggregator) and spaces (not that virtueDesktops isn't working for me, but Apple's implementations looks a little smoother). EDIT: also love stacks. I'm anal about my desktop being clean, so that will be great.

My biggest peeve is the Finder does not appear to have tabs (at least the website doesn't mention it)!!! am I the only one who has been wishing for this since day 1.

What does that mean?

It means that when you do custom drawing for an application you don't assume the screen resolution is 72 dpi, it could be higher. Typically right now 1 pixel is the same as 1 point and in the future with new screens this won't be true. If you don't support resolution independence, the OS can't properly display the application. You can use the Quartz Debug tool that comes with the developer tools to set the interface to a number higher than 1 pixel per point. What happens is that your application will look enlarged on a 72 dpi screen.

Back