AOL Instant Messenger -- When WilL We Have Support?

Jabulous

Registered
Does anyone know an estimated date that AOL will release their own version of AOL Instant Messenger with OS X support? yes, I am aware of the options we have in the mean time -- however ... is there any projection or beta release date that they have communicated at all?

Thanks,
Al

When I called aol to complain about them disconnecting fire and other clients I was told that they had no intention of supporting X. Now this was just one of their employees and she didn't seem to know what she was talking about but who knows.

Personally I plan to boycott all of their crap,

Actually, I would believe that they are correct. I am a beta tester for AOL. The attitude that comes across is that they don't give a crap about X. I don't know about Instant Messenger, but for the AOL program they basically said they didn't know if they would EVER get it to work since they can't access the modem. They pretty much have no carbon version planned for the near future. It's AOL's loss. If they expect people to go out of their way to IM people then they are wrong.

well, if you go here:

http://www.aol.com/aim/macosx.html

there are what seem to be screenshots of the OS X IM...and they say that it's close to being done...but close is such a relative term (remember how long it took to upgrade Mac users from AOL 3.xx-4.0??) So...I guess we just have to hang loose and either use the classic version or find another way of communication or something fun.

But I think that it will be a while for a OS X version to come out. I think they made that page just to keep us even more in suspense; and I seriously hate that AOL Instant Messenger KICKS OFF Fire users. It's so frustrating.

well, I actually don't think that AOL sucks any less...I think they dropped the ball. HOW long ago did SJ announce the March 24th release date?:) Hehe..I'm sure that perhaps somewhere in there, IM is a REALLLLLY complex program (note slight hint of sarcasm), but ya figure that the big guys could've hashed something out. Oh well...if only they'd stop kicking off Fire users...@#^%$@##!!!!

I dunno about you guys -- but if AIM is stable enough to get running for a screen shot -- then, damnit -- that's good enough for me. Give me a beta! Anything -- but, if you are gonna kick off other clients when you don't offer ANY support for a particular OS Version .... then you damn best have SOMETHING out? Agreed??

Okay -- so yeah -- we can still use the Classic version ... but, do I really feel like running Classic because Case is too much of an idiot to port the program by the 24th? No.

Originally posted by NUDrew
..I'm sure that perhaps somewhere in there, IM is a REALLLLLY complex program (note slight hint of sarcasm), but ya figure that the big guys could've hashed something out.

Sarcasm in deed...
As you say, aim must be REALLY complex concidering that ONE guy from epic software did fire... and it supports aim, icq, yahoo, etc...

Humm....

zerorex--

My point exactly!!! Whateva...the newest iteration of Fire is up..let's see how long I can use it before the man kicks me off again.

Today AOL started a survey for their beta testers to see who would be interested in AOL/AIM for OS X. If you ask me it's a little late to try and figure out what the demand will be. However, they did note that soon there would be a version of AOL for OS X (for beta testers only). I would expect some sort of AIM beta around the same time. Who knows how long it will be though. "Soon" for AOL means "We have no clue, but someday."

Originally posted by zerorex
Originally posted by NUDrew
..I'm sure that perhaps somewhere in there, IM is a REALLLLLY complex program (note slight hint of sarcasm), but ya figure that the big guys could've hashed something out.

Sarcasm in deed...
As you say, aim must be REALLY complex concidering that ONE guy from epic software did fire... and it supports aim, icq, yahoo, etc...

Humm....

Yes, but that one guy used open source libraries already available coded and refined by hundreds of programmers across the net. He plugged them into apple's GUI project-builder. Not in any way disparaging the work on Fire, but he's so tall because he's standing on the shoulders of a giant opensource community. AOL as a company has never understood that with the netscape project and probably never will with AIM.

Well AOHell released an OS X version of AIM. Its about 4 MB and does NOT support file transfers. Basicly its a bloated version of fire w/o support for the other chat services and w/ ads.

This version of AIM is really slow. Hopefully this is just a problem with this version of the program. They need to make it easier to turn off the news/stock tickers. I'm just glad they actually got the program released though.

well, I downloaded Fire 0.24, and in the readme, it states that Epicware has been forced to remove the AOL client from Fire. Hmm...does it surprise anybody that AOHell would do this after they released their own OS X IM client, no matter how slow, bloated, etc., it may be? Go figure.

If you can find someone with version 24.a it works with aim and can't be blocked. I couldn't get it but I know it used TOC so that the aim service couldn't tell that it wasn't an official client. Does anybody have version 24.a?

[Edited by VGZ on 03-30-2001 at 01:40 PM]

There are also some bugs in the speech and in the way windows are displayed.

But it is a beta. I also think dude updated fire so it works with AOL again.... for the moment.

Since AOL is slow slow and uses 2-10% CPU when idle with the buddy list open, you are wasting a lot of CPU time. TIP: If you close the buddy list window AIM will only use 0-2% of the CPU when idle. You can still here the sounds for people signing on and off, and of course messages. If you want to view your buddy list, simply click the AIM icon in the dock. It's a little annoying, but lowers the load on the processor.

Back