.app files

I tried this by renaming the file in terminal using unix and checking the results in the finder.

I am using a normal picture "file", you mention "package" in your thread. Is this terminology important, is my test pertinent.

MacOS X application packages are special folders which are most easily recognizable by the extension .app. These special directories hold each application's executable and its other resources. A set bit makes each application appear as a single file to the user. You may open an application bundle and review its contents by control-clicking its icon. This will enable a contextual menu. Show Package Contents is the second selection. Once open, the package is navigable and editable just like the contents of any other folder.

Select the application, and right click for Get Info.
What application name, version number, and other details do you see?

As pointed earlier, it could be that the application requires a different (higher or lower) version of OS X than you are running. It could be that it is is for a different platform, or that it was copied incorrectly from somewhere else, there could be some corruption in the file, ... a number of options. There also could be 'locked' selected for some reason in the info window. The version number matters as different versions of different programs have different needs of OS and hardware, it could be the frameworks not compatible with the version you try to use... more details would be useful.

Right click in Finder for "Show Package Contents" shows the content in a new window. So inside the application there is Contents folder, and inside it you would typically see at least the folders MacOS and Resources. In MacOS folder you usually find the executable for that application. Is there anything in MacOS folder for this application?

Where is the app located? Applications folder or somewhere else?

If nothing appears to happen, open Console and look at what it says when you try to open the app once more. Perhaps something is missing or has been moved.

I tried this by renaming the file in terminal using unix and checking the results in the finder.

I took X.jpg (appears as X.jpg in finder) and named it X.app (it appears as X in finder), then renamed it X.jpg.app (it appears as X.jpg.app in Finder).

I am using a normal picture "file", you mention "package" in your thread. Is this terminology important, is my test pertinent.

Curious to know

That's an interesting realization. It seems to only work with certain file extensions such as those for image files. I just tried it with a .mdb file(Microsoft Access) and it does NOT show the .app extension if I turn off show all file extensions. Now this isn't really a big deal because AFAIK nothing on the Mac can open Access files but I still think it could be used to trick users into running an application.

I'm submitting this to Apple as a security problem.

I remember maybe a year ago this was one of those proof of concept "viruses" masquerading as an image file even with the icon of an image, not an application.

Also, showing all file extensions if OFF by default so you can't expect most users to even know they can show the file extensions.

Works fine on pc, but not on mac!

FM2008 is available as a demo for both PC and Mac, different downloads.
Download the Mac version, and you should be fine.
Or, there's 2 different Mac downloads. One is about 1MB, an installer, which doesn't seem to work. The other is more than 500MB, and looks like the same thing? (But works OK) Somethings not right with one of the downloads (could that be what you downloaded - it's much smaller?), but maybe when the real version is released, they will fix it.

fryke - if mikecolly found the final version somewhere, then your thoughts are in the right direction - There is a demo that can be downloaded from their gaming site, and that might be what mikecolly has - it has problems...

Back