App Store problem

SGilbert

Registered
Several months ago, the Mac App Store was having trouble downloading updates; somehow it fixed itself after a few weeks.
I know that Messenger for Facebook needs updating as the app says so. Only place to get it is Apple App Store.
Skip ahead to a week ago. App Store (icon in my dock) says 1 update. Start up App Store--nothing in updates; search Messenger and I get the 'cloud' icon to download; clicking it gets a revolving circle--lasts all night if I leave it go--tried that 2 times.
If I do a restart, I sometimes get the update for Messenger, but same spinning circle.
Problems: If I delete App Store, I cannot find where to re-download; If I delete Messenger, no where to download except App Store.
I have run Disk 1st Aid, searched Apple support and Apple forums, and even signed out of App Store account & re signed in. All no help.
Since this started, I have not had any other App Store updates, even though I get at least half my apps from there.

Sorry for the ramble, but tried to explain & what I've done. Any advice??

I have experienced the exact same thing. And it is only on my iMac running Mohave. My other devices are working fine - iPhone & old laptop with the exact same Apple ID. What I did was go to my laptop, download the app update I needed, then moved it to a flash drive, then removed the old app from my iMac and move the newly downloaded one from the flash drive to my iMac.
I connected with an Apple chat and they wanted me to first try a new user on the iMac, if that worked, then I need to removing my login items (which has nothing to do with the App store). I could also try using Safe Mode but the biggest push was that I need to update the OS to Big Sur and that will fix the problems.

What I will do is download the combo update for Mohave and give that a try.

Thanks Cheryl.

Let me know if combo update works. I, also, am still using Mohave. (Several 32 bit apps I'm not willing to give up yet!)

I don't know if this happened due to my upgrade to Mohave or the latest security update, but I am hoping that the combo update will fix it. I'll keep you posted.

App Store still is 'broken', but I was able to update my wife's Messenger app through her App Store (same Mohave as I have).

I copied her Messenger app v. 91.5.119 to a thumb drive and installed on my Mac. It all works.

As the App Store is still 'broken', I have no way of knowing if there are other updates lurking out there that the App Store will not let me know about! :(

Thanks for the suggestion, but some of those I did and screen time is for a phone/tablet. I did forget about the Apple ID in iCloud, but that did not work for me.
I'll be busy with the combo update and let you know.

FWIW, It would be nice if Apple would name the App Store for Mac and iOS differently so as to avoid the above confusion.

As a bit of an aside, I found Catalina a bit buggy and I was not so pleased with it, but I've been happy with Big Sur. It seems to run a little faster and my laptop is usually a bit cooler, for example. If the concern is about 32 bit apps, is it an option to create a virtual machine (e.g. using VMware Fusion or Parallels) for an older version of macOS/OS X for those instances, while running the latest macOS as your main operating system?

Will wonders never cease!!! after a restart (which I've done 5-6 times after this started) I get a pop up banner that said I have an update.
Went to App Store, and voila', a new update and it actually worked; just like about a month, or so, ago when it fixed itself the 1st time.

I'm thinking' this is on Apple's end, somehow.

Last edited:
I did a restart and amazingly, the App Store is now behaving. :) I did download the combo update but didn't use it. I am keeping it safe just incase I do need to use those measures in the future (ya never know).

Back