apple 15' display

ERICBRIAN2002

Registered
I am ready to buy a 15' apple display but i have a g4 400mhz with is original video card. I know it wont work on it but can any 1 please help me and tell me the cheapest way to connect it to my g4. My buddy is giving it to me for 450 and its brand new!!! So anything at all would help

You can get a cheap video card (ATi Radeon 7000 PCI) for about $125, then you'll need a DVI to ADC converter, probably from Dr. Bott.

All in all, about a $175-250 investment.

Get the new DVI to ADC adapter from Apple if your graphic card supports DVI out. Otherwise, if your computer has an AGP, get a new graphic card (it would be great for Quartz Extreme soon).

this is the other way round. get a new Radeon or GeForce 4MX card with *at least* 32 MB of VRAM. Plus a DVI to ADC adaptor that either Apple or Dr. Bott sell.

I don't think that'll work -- it's "going the wrong way" if that makes sense. You need a DVI to ADC converter, not an ADC to DVI converter.

The new Apple 15" display is an ADC display. The card you need to purchase is going to have a DVI port, so you need a converter that'll take that DVI signal and convert it to ADC.

The adapter you saw on the Apple store page takes an ADC signal and converts it to DVI. If you tried to use that with the setup you're wanting, you'll quickly find that the connectors on the ends of the adapter are the opposite of what you need (there'll be a male connector where you need a female, and a female where you need a male.).

Hope that helps (and is accurate!)

Is it possible to check using a g4 what type of video card it has. Like in the prefs panel somewhere where i can see what kind of video card is inside?

Back