Apple 3 button mouse again?

metfoo

Registered
http://www.apple.com/shake/specs.html

look at the required specs. The apple machine requires a three button mouse. The software is an apple product now, so i am curious if a three button mouse will be intorduced when this comes out.

as a side not, why are the required appl specs sooo much higher than the x86 specs? shouldnt it be the other way around? If this thing is that big of a resource hog, i hope apple releases some ddr based GHz+ machines soon

but if apple ACTUALLY got it's act together and started makeing a 3 button standard ( OR EVEN 2!) i would finally be happy but if you think about it maybe they are getting ready because i never had to install any drivers for my 3 button mouse and it works like a dream!

Right, but companies like Kensington make mouse drivers that are awesome. You can assign functionality to buttons and combos of buttons. Being satisfied with the built-in mouse functionality from OS X is like tying your thumb to your index finger. Typical Mac user flaw. Thinking one mouse button is more than enough. ;-)

3 buttons, wow, you are shooting for the stars!

How about just 2 buttons or maybe one button and a scroll wheel?

A 1 button mouse has to be about the most useless device in the world. Apple should just save their money and not package one with their desktops, it's a joke.

Baby steps into the 21st century Apple. You can do it.

This is how their 2 button mouse campaign should go.

"On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce the 2 button mouse. And you'll see why 2003 wont be like "1984."

Hahaha. I'm funny! :)

I think the one button mouse ties in the ease-of-use and simplicity reputation the Mac OS has. It's supposed to make it easier for not-so-savvy computer users. That's my take at least.

Originally posted by cybergoober
I think the one button mouse ties in the ease-of-use and simplicity reputation the Mac OS has. It's supposed to make it easier for not-so-savvy computer users. That's my take at least.

this is true. anyone who thinks apple is not putting 2+ button mice with their computers because they can't figure out how to do it is kidding themselves. people always say "hey, they invented the 3 button mouse in 1986, apple is really far behind. macs suck" and i can do nothing but :rolleyes: .

The joke is, Apple boasts how intuitive their OS and hardware is but a 1 button mouse is hardly intuitive or productive.

So you want to get a list of options when clicking on that file or folder, hold the option key down while pressing the mouse button. Now instead of using just one hand, you have to use two. This is considered easier and less confusing? Now which button was that again, shift, control, option, Apple, reset? Now I'm confused.

Apple wants to be the Rolls-Royce of the computer industry by packaging a 1 button mouse with their computers much like every Rolls still comes with an analogue clock in the dash. Unlike Roll-Royce though, Apple's idea of simple elegance has been lost some where within the past decade.

I think over the past 20 years, just about everyone has figured out how to use a two button mouse. Apple, please, stop treating your users like children.

Exactly, azosx. Guys, arguments FOR a one-button mouse really makes it sound like the typical Mac user is a freakin' idiot. I know they aren't, so Apple needs to get with it. I picture someone sitting there with a stream of drool coming from their mouth and all four fingers together slapping the mouse. :) Most mice now have scroll wheels. I don't see people sitting there wondering what to do with it. Pretty damn intuitive, and very useful. I hated them initially, but once you get used to one you can't go back. And the wheel is used all over the place in OS X. Same for the context menus. What's easier and more intuitive, to simply right click on something, or to remember what key combos go with the button? I think Apple is shooting themselves (and their customers) in the foot staying with the one-button.

The macally iceMouse is the best mouse ever

Sorry, IMHO, that award goes to the Kensington Optical Elite mouse. Four buttons plus a scroll wheel button. Great grip, nice blue LED, and the best part - the best OS X native drivers for any of the current crop of mice.

Best $39 spent, and I own LOTS of Mice...

Yeah. I love Kensington. I now have a Mouse-In-A-Box Optical and two Iridios. Their software is awesome, as well as their mice. And their company in general. I have used those Macally mice and thought they felt like crap. But that's just my opinion. :)

Originally posted by serpicolugnut

Sorry, IMHO, that award goes to the Kensington Optical Elite mouse. Four buttons plus a scroll wheel button. Great grip, nice blue LED, and the best part - the best OS X native drivers for any of the current crop of mice.

Best $39 spent, and I own LOTS of Mice...

I tried one out at macworld and the touch sensor was very unresponsive, I had to push really hard to get it to work.

If you people don't like one button mice, use different ones. I didn't like my iMac's Pro Mouse, so I'm using my friend's iMac's puck mouse. Whichever glove fits.

Maybe Apple should take a poll?

Originally posted by hazmat
Exactly, azosx. Guys, arguments FOR a one-button mouse really makes it sound like the typical Mac user is a freakin' idiot. I know they aren't, so Apple needs to get with it. I picture someone sitting there with a stream of drool coming from their mouth and all four fingers together slapping the mouse. :) Most mice now have scroll wheels. I don't see people sitting there wondering what to do with it. Pretty damn intuitive, and very useful. I hated them initially, but once you get used to one you can't go back. And the wheel is used all over the place in OS X. Same for the context menus. What's easier and more intuitive, to simply right click on something, or to remember what key combos go with the button? I think Apple is shooting themselves (and their customers) in the foot staying with the one-button.

You make it sound like the typical Mac user needs the most complicated thing in the world in order to have power.

I have been using a one-button mouse for a long time, and for a while I used a 5-button + scroll wheel Microsoft IntelliMouse explorer? You know what? When I got my cube, I ditched that awful thing.

A one-button mouse isn't a joke. Like cybergoober said, it's much easier to not have to think about using another button on a mouse. Is it the right mouse button, the left mouse button, both at the same time?

On the other hand, when you have a simple one-button mouse, you don't have to think about most things. The only thing you have to worry about is control-click, which is always for opening a contextual menu. Everything else can be accessed with a single click (left-click to you multi-button mouse users).

I really hate it when people start going off about how Apple doesn't package a multi-button mouse. If you don't like it, GO OUT AND BUY A MULTI-BUTTON MOUSE.

I prefer my one-button mouse anyday, and I'm sure many Mac users would as well. Now stop whining and get yourself a multi-button mouse already. I've seen many recommendations in this thread, and if you want one that bad, you can take the time to go out and get one.

Oh, and for the record, the puck mouse was an awesome mouse. It's perfect for people with small hands like my mom (she constantly complains about how all mice are way too big, and the puck mouse was perfect for her). I prefer it, too, because I don't have to wrap my whole hand around something just to move it. :rolleyes:

I use the Kensington Optical Pro (5 buttons and scroll wheel, plus chording) and I purely love it! Kensington's drivers are awesome, and I can program the buttons to my heart's content. It definitely makes me more productive.
At work, using (shudder) a Micro$oft 2-button-&-scroll-wheel mouse, I keep wondering why I have to always double click the bloody thing. ;)

the reason the puck mouse is bad is for the rest of us who have typically sized hands. it starts to hurt after extended use because it's not ergonomically correct. the same reason people have wrist pads on their mousepads and keyboards, etc.
i don't think this thread was for us to whine about having a two button mouse-- i don't see how anyone could 'prefer' a one button mouse. a two button mouse has the same button, it's just smaller. a two button mouse would appease everyone except for the purists who love their one-button mice (for whatever reason). a scroll wheel is extremely useful, no matter how you slice it.
i've got my scroll wheel button mapped to the enter key-- that's pretty useful. a back button is very useful, too.
anyway, i don't see how more buttons can be more confusing for someone if it offers the exact same button as the one-button mice + more. you don't have to use the extras-- we will ^_^.

one button mice were more intuitive to someone who was new to computers- but the number of people new to computers is dwindling to nothing. i'd rather a multi-button mouse be bundled with the computer than to spend $30 on a new one.

I can't stand having a one-button mouse. the right-click is infinitely useful, and I have the scroll wheel set to make a menu with my favorite apps. the iceMouse really compliments my iMac too

Back