Apple Announces MacBook Pro

kainjow

Registered
drool here

Things to note:
- dual core! Prices: $2000 and $2500
- 15" only
- new magnetic power connector so if it gets yanked, it comes off loosely instead of taking your computer with it
- built-in iSight
- FrontRow and remote
- modem not built-in (sold separately)
- serial ATA
- one FW 400 port, no FW 800

But an ExpressCard slot. And: You can still get the PPC versions. For all those who really want 4-times-slower performance but for nostalgy... ;)

fryke said:
But an ExpressCard slot. And: You can still get the PPC versions. For all those who really want 4-times-slower performance but for nostalgy... ;)

Although, the PPC version does carry the name, "PowerBook", instead of "MacBook Pro"..

Instead of a PCCard/PCMCIA slot, the MacBook Pro has the new ExpressCard.

http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/standardsummary.jsp

No FireWire 800. FireWire 800 is probably dead.

Apple's current Pro applications, including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express and Final Cut Express, are NOT supported by Rosetta, and they will NOT run on Intel-based Macs!

If you have the PowerPC versions of these applications, you must purchase the "Universal" upgrade version of these applications.

http://www.apple.com/uk/rosetta/

Hmmm....
Interesting but I will pass....

What I love:
Front Row + remote
Intel inside
Built-in iSight
Magnetic power cable

What I Dislike:
lack of universal apps
What will I do with my PCMCIA cards now ?!
Only one FW port
No S-Video out
Need more HD space, please :) How about one of those perpendicular drives? ;)

What I could care less about:
no modem...I have not used dialup in 3 years :)

What I wonder:
where do you store the remote ?!

Yeah, the lack of two FireWire ports is a bit of a bummer. Now you have to unplug an external drive if you want to capture some video.

Still, I like it and if I had the cash I'd buy one.

I'm bummed about the lack of dual layer dvd writing and the fw 800

i suppose it shall suffice because the only pc cards i have are fw400, usb2 and wireless 80211b which are now built in

i ddi hope to burn dl dvds

AdmiralAK said:
What I wonder:
where do you store the remote ?!

As a notebook user, you'll either leave the remote at home, or you'll put it inside your notebook bag. Problem solved?

nice pics. :) I wonder what people have to say about its performance. I mean: We all know it's not _really_ 4-5 times faster in everyday tasks. (We've been bashing those benchmarks for years now, now Apple is using the very benchmarks PC users used to bash us with when we were PowerPC...) So will it make a big difference in real world tasks? I'm looking forward to seeing the first reports of HandBrake transforming a DVD to a nice little MPEG-4 etc. as well as reports on how often one sees the dreaded beachball cursor... ;)

Just a couple of thoughts...

1) Might the move away from FW800 not be a precursor to the adoption of 1394c - I might have misunderstood but I believe it will combine hot-pluggability, fast transfer rates and networking features (ie. replace ethernet) all into a single standard?

2) That remote - would it be possible to use it with, say, Keynote presentations? Or is it Front Row only?

fryke said:
nice pics. :) I wonder what people have to say about its performance. I mean: We all know it's not _really_ 4-5 times faster in everyday tasks. (We've been bashing those benchmarks for years now, now Apple is using the very benchmarks PC users used to bash us with when we were PowerPC...) So will it make a big difference in real world tasks? I'm looking forward to seeing the first reports of HandBrake transforming a DVD to a nice little MPEG-4 etc. as well as reports on how often one sees the dreaded beachball cursor... ;)
Well it was 4-5 times faster in integer and floating point tests which are important. Steve did say that you wouldn't get 4-5 times faster performance from everyday tasks, which is totally understandable.

Back