Apple buys into 64bit future

It's *still* just a rumour. That site may be reporting it as a fact, but Apple hasn't made any press releases yet saying that they are using the new IBM chips.

That said, it sounds like a very good chip, and if Apple used it, then we'd be doing very well again in terms of X86 butt kicking power :D

I'd be suprised that Annanova were covering the story if it was just rumour.

However they do drop an interseting line in:

"It was not immediately clear in which products Apple will use the IBM PowerPC 970 or whether they will be the foundation of an entirely new system"

This of course does not gaurentee a desktop 64bit proc but ir does mean that apple are moving in that direction and it is < hope>no longer just rumour!</hope>

Originally posted by devonferns
It's *still* just a rumour. That site may be reporting it as a fact, but Apple hasn't made any press releases yet saying that they are using the new IBM chips.

When has Apple made it a habit of announcing stuff like that EVER until the product is actually produced?

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
When has Apple made it a habit of announcing stuff like that EVER until the product is actually produced?

Hence the reason it's still a rumour.:p

Originally posted by devonferns
Hence the reason it's still a rumour.:p

Yep, it sure is. I'm simply saying that an Apple press release CONFIRMING the rumor is VERY unlikely, since Apple doesn't make it a habit of confirming rumors before the actual product is released, therefore, don't be looking for a press release from Apple to confirm this rumor.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
I'm simply saying that an Apple press release CONFIRMING the rumor is VERY unlikely, since Apple doesn't make it a habit of confirming rumors before the actual product is released, therefore, don't be looking for a press release from Apple to confirm this rumor.

Ah, OK. Yes, you're probably right about that.:)

On a side note... I"m sure they do buy into the 64 bit future. Even if it is just for advertising. Remember when the G4 came out and they were advertising about it being 128 bit? It's all advertising but they were making a big stink about it.

Do you think they'll make a big deal about 64 when they made such a big deal about 128 when the G4 came out?

Back