Apple closes down kernel for OS X x86

As far as I can tell this is still the same old news from--what was it--like January. They just still have not released it but they have not said anything new.

That's what I thought.....I saw this on Slashdot and they had posted the other information regarding the missing kernel for x86 in the Darwin repos some time back as well. Maybe it was just a dupe on the old information. :rolleyes:

I think it's about how the intel version should not easily be cracked to run on any PC. However, I've heard comments from Apple that there's no definite decision on re-opening source for the intel kernel.

From what I've heard, Apple has NOT closed the Intel-source code because of hackers -- I've heard that they just haven't released it yet, since a) You cannot purchase an Intel-based version of Mac OS X as a retail package and cannot otherwise obtain it legally without purchasing an Intel-based Apple computer, and, b) The source is not yet "unified" (there are still two different developmental brances of source code -- one PPC, one Intel), which is supposed to happen with Leopard.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/17/os.x.for.intel.locked.down/

I don't think it has anything to do with hackers. I think that was all early, incorrect speculation.

Back