apple.com.defaults... Column width

err...the column width in what? If you mean the terminal windows in Terminal.app, go to the prefs, click on Window, and right at top they have boxes for Columns and Rows.

If you mean the console, though, I don't have a clue.

Originally posted by Darkshadow
err...the column width in what? If you mean the terminal windows in Terminal.app, go to the prefs, click on Window, and right at top they have boxes for Columns and Rows.

If you mean the console, though, I don't have a clue.

Sorry, I should have clarified better. I view all my Finder windows in column view and would like to specify a wider default setting. Can this be done?

I have the same question. Alternatively, I wonder if there's a keyboard shortcut for setting the column width to the longest file name. Anyone got any leads?

Wow, dredging up a thread from more than 8 years ago!
That's from about the day that OS X 10.1 was released...
Much has happened during that time, eh?

i don't know what's more concerning - the fact i totally missed the date of this post, or the fact the problem remains unresolved after all that time ...

or has it and i've totally missed that too?

If you do a search for your question, you will find that has been answered, usually through writing modifications to the .plist that controls that column width.
No keyboard shortcut to make the column width to the longest file name. Not too practical, I think. What happens if you have a file name that is l-o-n-g? Max is 255 character, IIRC.

this is the only relevant thread i found when searching - the .plist thing serves a different purpose than what i'm looking for. i figure if i just keep my file names short (which I'm in a habit of doing anyway, because it's frustrating that i can't read long filenames immediately because of the default column width). maybe if i use the .plist to set the column width according to an average column width - might minimise the number of times i have to adjust the width ...

thanks for your replies!

You can read long file names without adjusting the width....
Just hover over the file name, and the longer name will appear within a few moments.

i'm trying to avoid using my mouse if i don't have to, is all ...

not so much laziness as shooting for efficiency, as i'm flipping between files quite a bit ...

Back