Apple Expo Paris '04 discussion

C'mon, I really want atleast a 17" PowerBook. Apple has already once updated part of a line, when they released the new AL 12 and 17 and left the Ti 15 for months. If they can fit the G5 into an iMac, I don't see a reason that the 17" (if not the 15" as well) could use it. Ok, the 12" is a different story, that could use a high end, dual core G4, while the iBook uses lower speed, single core G4's.

We've seen code pertaining to two PowerMacs that don't exist and a PowerBook. Could that be the 17" iMac G5, 20" iMac G5, and 17" PowerBook G5?

I can dream, can't I? :)

I totaly agree, although there are major heat issues in a laptop that are diff with a desktop, were talkin about apple here. I f anyone can find a way, its them.

Hey, I'm sure apple could slap a G5 into the PowerBook 17". No problem.

"Announcing the new Apple 17" PowerBook G5. Now with 12 minutes of battery life."

...because of the air conditioner they had to attach to the back of the 'book. ;)

Man, am I ever looking forward to that iMac... :D

I fully understand that laptop computing is a different animal than desktop computing and things like heat, battery life, et al are vital to portables. With that being said, when's the last time a consumer product had a higher clock rating, let alone sheer performance edge, over the professional products? Obviously, I'm speaking of iMac G5 at 1.6GHz - 2.0GHz compared to PowerBook G4 at 1.5GHz.

Yes, again, I fully understand the concept of a portable, but I also understand how hard of a pill that is for the consumer to swallow. I know Macs and PCs are different animals and if you want X you get the Mac and such, but it makes it even harder to justify a $2000 - $3000 portable that would be outpaced by a $1300 iMac.

Here's my disclaimer. I have a PowerBook and I absolutely love it. Its all that I use. Then again, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a PowerBook G5 in a heartbeat!

One other question. I know that PC manufacturers are moving away from using the P4 in laptops, at least that's what I've heard. How hot do the 3GHz P4's get? My boss has a laptop with a 3 (or higher) GHz P4 (desktop model) in it. True, its warm and gets horrible battery life, but I'd think with IBM's PowerTune technology, they'd be able to overcome many of these issues at 1.8GHz or so.

One other thing...

For those who believe that Apple would wait until September to release the G5 iMac, so they could do it in the US with Steve...imagine what would happen to Apple's stock prices if no iMac is produced tomorrow with this frenzy! ;)

I'm still just shocked that there's no webcast for such a huge event! C'mon Apple! Get an idea of your marketing capabilities by seeing how many people here in the US get up at 3am (central atleast) to tune in and watch Phil!

mmmmmmm, A G5 iMac would be awesome considering I just got rid of my iMac 500Mhz. I need a new computer and a G5 all-in-one would definetly do the trick. Does anybody have any idea of what the new formfactor will look like? I've seen hoaxed pictures on the rumor sites...a look like that would disappoint me, not sleek and sexy enough to be from apple. Any idea on possible cooling, liquid maybe?

Yeah, I'm not big on the mockups I've seen. Seriously, people are underestimating the functionality of that arm on the current iMac. It really get the display right for any viewing height and angle, perfectly, every time. You can't really do that with the concept of globbing everything in back of the display, as an all in one solution.

Though it would be cool if the display could rotate, since supposedly Quartz supports that sort of thing. I don't really have a use for that, but it's still kinda cool! :)

Yeah man I hear ya on that, that arm is really versatile it would be stupid to get rid of that but hey maybe apple will inovate something better and more versatile, they seem to do it every time.

See, if they could combine that arm with a monitor that you could upgrade at a later date. It would make the machine much more versatile.

Is the keynote about 2 hours long as it was at WWDC? If so, maybe I'll just get up at 5am, instead of sitting with nothing to do for two hours!

Well, I'm sitting in eager anticipation with a credit card borrowed from my parents, refreshing the apple home page. All I have to say is the iMac better not have a pyramid base or a double arm - I'd have to give it back unused.

For the people who want to get up at 4 AM Eastern (or stay up until 1 AM Pacific), Think Secret ( http://thinksecret.com/ ) and Mac Observer ( http://macobserver.com/ ) both intend on providing up to the minute coverage. I wouldn't doubt that one of our members will be increasing his/her post count by 30 telling us what's going on in this thread though. :)

The keynote begins at 10 AM in Paris (+0200 UTC).

Ohhhh, only hours to go. (In Australia time, the keynote should kick off about 6pm. Sweeeeet.)

With the difficulty in cooling a G5 chip as well as the production issues making the G5s harder to come by, there won't be a G5 PowerBook this year, and maybe not until the end of the next year. There will likely be another G4 revision before the G5s come out.

I wonder if the emac will be discontinued if the rumors of an iMac edu version are true. Then again, that would raise the price considerably for the low-end of the market, whcih I think would be a mistake.
I'd still like to see the 12" iBook killed for a bare-bones, low-priced 10" model.
If the iMacs look awesome, I'll consider selling my 17PB and buying a new iMac and a used 12" iBook or PB for portable usage.

Not on the radar, but I'd also love to hear about an update for .mac, more space and features in antipcation of .Mac Sync that will come with Tiger. A remote for AirExpress would be cool as would a software update bringing the 4G iPod functions to the current Mini line. And finally, I'd like to finally get my hands on that cool satellite tracker screensaver that Steve showed at his last gig.

I don't understand why ppl look for a remote for Airport Express. I mean, there is nothing running on the express box but on the mac sending the data. So, what you guys are looking for is a remote control for the mac and itunes. And this is available..
I would love to see a G5 powerbook as well, but as Randman I doubt it will be that soon. Apple can't release a book with less then 4h battery duration, when few x86 laptops endure up to 7h..

Back