Apple Expo Paris '04 discussion

Cool, thanks!

I love Tiger and all, but, for the first time, I doubt anyone almost really cares! lol ;)

Unless Phil shows off how it can make you breakfast daily...no...that wouldn't even kindle the interest of the possibly millions up "watching" right now!

I got up too early, I should have just gotten up in about 25 more minutes, right in time for iMac and any sort of surprise they may be. This rehash of Tiger's features is killing me! They could at least preview 10.5 to make it interesting! ;)

Looks like Different District isn't reporting anymore.

Ok, if they can mount a G5 as they supposedly have in the iMac, only having read the description, they can do a PowerBook! ;)

We get it that you want an PB. You and the rest of the world. Maybe they can get one in but why risk iMac sales right now? Sorry, if you want an Powerbook, it's G4. iMac and PowerMac, it's G5.

I know there was a lot of bashers of the last new iMac, but I really don't know what to say, or think, about this one.

The arm on the last iMac really was a great feature, its now gone. It looks like an emac, but smaller...and I never liked the look to the eMac, it just always looked awkward to me.

The graphics card is fine for most people marketed to with the iMac. I'm not sure. It looks great and the price is reasonable, especially for the 20 model with AirPort and a 250GB hard drive (no bluetooth option).
But I'd still like to see it hooked up with wires and whatnot rather than its pristine state.

ah man im so tired i just stayed up all nite [morning actually] reading the expo on irc....
i love the new imac i have decided that i want it for my 16th bday [on august 21st 2005:( so long from now]

I am also disappointed by the fact that they do not have Firewire 800 on it either... They should at least have a BTO option to upgrade the graphics card.

But I do have to give credit for the Harddrive. That is sweet. I am not yet a big fan of the design, but I know it'll grow on me...

Sweeeeet!

I'll certainly be buying one. The 17" model with a 160GB hard drive and the Bluetooth kit (notice it is a little cheaper to buy the Bluetooth built-in, BT keyboard and mouse as a bonus kit than separately), though I am tempted to go into a fair bit of debt for the 20" model.
As for the graphic card, I think its ideal for the type of machine it is. It'll handle all games and apps nicely, and any more than that would really be overkill for this sort of machine.
The only thing I couldn't spot any reference to was a Kensington security slot. It almost certainly has one, but there's no sign of it or mention of it on the site.
I like the fact that the stand is Vesa-standard and can be swapped-out for other third-party stands, maybe in a few more weeks we'll be putting them onto nice, colour-matched arms and so on. I'm even impressed with how well they matched its styling with just about every product they've put out in the last 3 years, especially the iPod.
Well done, Apple, it was worth the wait.

Hey, I'm just simply stating, if they have found ways to cool the G5 to fit in that enclosure, then I would guess that the PowerBook roadblocks are being worked around...I wasn't trying to offend you by that statement.

As far as squashing sales go, by not releasing the portable, they are squashing sales...PC -> Mac sales. I know tons of PC users who are completely ready to make the switch, but want portables and only want G5. Most of them gave up on waiting and bought new Dells. Yes, their loss, but Apple's loss as well.

For this iMac, I think its something I need to see in person. I'm just not getting the full picture, I guess. Its unique and its compact, yet it seems just odd to me. Again, I know people were taken off guard by the swivel arm iMac, but I think the swivel arm had more use than being able to wall mount your iMac, for the average consumer. Its almost the wrong pro level feature to include for the consumer line, despite the added pro features we've all wanted. Now, if they included the bluetooth module, mouse, and keyboard as part of the mid level and up, then it'd be a little more enticing to me and would be an added way to promote the wall mount capabilities that it appears this has. I guess its just kinda hard to swallow that the machines get kinda pricey fast as well. Yes, $1499 for the mid-range, the level most people seem to buy, is a nice price point, but bump it up to 512MB of RAM, add in the AirPort Extreme card, the bluetooth module/keyboard/mouse bundle and AppleCare and your already at $2000.00.

I do, however, give them big time credit for making an iMac that looks friendly to open up. That's always been a gripe about the all-in-one lines and it looks like Apple really nailed that, which will make lots of people out there happy, including myself.

Now to decide if I still want to purchase it...

im impressed once again. :)

the iMacs design is astonishing.

soon they will be popping up in movies and offices :)

i just dont understand how they made it that small :p

Okay, I wanna play the lastest 3d games and do some stuff in GarageBand (with loads of sample and midi channels etc). I also dabble in web programming at home (Java, JSP, Tomcat, Posgtres, etc.)

Is the iMac gonna cut it? Or, do I really want to get a tower and a better gfx card (I already have an 17inch CRT I can use so no need to get a seperate LCD)?

Tower with extra ram and best gfx card is pushing 1800 (UK). 17inch iMac with extra ram is 1200 (UK)

Hmmmmm.

I wonder if there are any fans. One graphic showed the air flow, but another one didn't show any fans. If it works without fans, it should be very silent and perfect as a home computing system.

Back